Saturday, July 16, 2016

Northern PEI is NOT Veg-Friendly

We began our day as per usual - sleeping in until past 10:00am. I am SO thankful that our kids are able to sleep in if they stay up late. It's been nice not having to rush home to get the twins to bed and their flexibility has made this trip so much better than it could have been.
After breakfast, we decided to venture toward the Eastern portion of the North Cape. We landed at the Northport Pier where we found many fishing boats, a quaint inn, and a restaurant (The Boat Shop) that I want to revisit before we leave (it was closed for a function today, but I saw that they have a black bean burger on the menu). We also saw a Blue Heron chilling near the boardwalk.



We then decided to do a few geocaches, but the mosquitoes were bothering the kids and me, so we let J. do the work to find them whilst we walked around a cemetery in Alberton. I don't know what it is about cemeteries, but I really enjoy reading epitaphs. Some are quite sad (especially those who died young) and others are humorous. I feel most for the ones who have only a marker from the funeral home. G. felt the need to pray over them.

Such a sweet boy.
As it had been a few hours since everyone had eaten, we decided to walk along main street in Alberton to look for a place to have lunch. Not one single restaurant (including a bakery where we thought we'd surely find bagels) had a vegetarian option. Everything we saw had either fish or meat as the main ingredients. So, we headed to a Tim Horton's about 10 minutes away where we knew we would find something for the family.

K. enjoying a bagel and a raspberry lemonade (she had never had a frozen drink before).
After Tim's we headed just up the road to Mill River Fun Park. Just a few minutes after we arrived, the sky opened up and it poured rain for about 15 minutes. We ran into the games room and played air hockey and foosball. Who knew foosball was so much fun?
Once the rain stopped, the kids wanted to put on their swimsuits and head to the water slides. we had to wait 20 minutes until the park re-opened, but when it did, G. wasted no time getting in. Have I mentioned how cold the water is at this park? Freezing! K. was chilled to the bone after only a few minutes and I, despite having my swimsuit on, hadn't even ventured into the water.

Chilled to the bone, but still smiley!
Just as K. and I were headed back to the change rooms to put on our warm, dry clothes, G. came out of the water begging me to go down the big water slide with him. So, I did what any mother would have done. I braved the ice water in order to make my boy happy. Yowza! So cold! I went down twice before G. said he was ready to change and head home.
We spent the rest of the day relaxing at the cottage. We were all pretty content to stay still for a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment