Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Big Decision

We were supposed to be in PEI until Friday the 22nd, but have been a little homesick these last few days and have been trying to switch our hotel dates. We also wanted to be sure to be at an annual pool party to which we had been invited.
Last night, as we put the kids to bed (very late at around 11pm) J. and I made the decision to leave in the morning. I called the hotel we had booked for Friday and asked if they had any availability for Wednesday evening and they DID! So, we switched our dates and then began packing furiously in order to leave early in the morning. There was laundry to be done, cleaning to be done, and organizing to be done. By 2am, we were packed and ready.
I slept quite fitfully as I knew there were still things that needed to be done before we left, but that couldn't be done until morning. By 6am, I gave up on sleep and came downstairs to complete the packing bonanza. I cooked what food we had left, prepared snacks for the 11 hour drive to our hotel, and cleaned the house as best as I could with three sleeping family members still snoozing upstairs.
At 7am, J. came down and he began organizing the car for departure. I emptied the fridge, packed the coolers, and helped J. with packing the car. At 7:45, I woke the twins who were so happy to finally be heading home.
While the kids were getting into the car, I walked down to the field, picked a few apples from the apple tree, and fed Special Guest her treats. She galloped and neighed as I walked away. I am certain she will miss us.
We left our country home at 8:07am and headed toward Drummondville, PQ. We stopped at Bakin' Donuts (a PEI Tim Horton's) then headed across Confederation Bridge for the last time. I have a HUGE fear of bridges over water, but didn't want to let the twins know how anxious I was whilst we traveled over toward New Brunswick. They loved the bridge, but I hated every second. Sure, it was a beautiful view, but all I could think if was what I would do if we flipped off of the bridge and into the water. Anxiety is not fun to live with.
Soon, enough, we were over the bridge and traveling through New Brunswick. NB is beautiful and we loved watching the scenery as we drove through.


K. sent notes to me all through the drive. 
We stopped in Edmunston for a bit of a break, then headed toward Quebec. As we passed Riviere du Loup, my brother called me and I told him that we had left early, but not to tell my parents as we wanted to keep them from worrying while we traveled home. We stopped for dinner at a Tim Horton's near Quebec City where the twins took some time to get some of their energy out and then were off on our final leg toward Drummondville.


Finally, 11 hours after leaving our home in PEI, we arrived at our hotel in Drummondville. We checked in and unloaded in record time so that we could get into the hotel pool for a couple of hours before bedtime.
We were all so happy to know that we would be home the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment