I was looking to make something fall-friendly and comforting for our tummies on Saturday night and found a recipe for Stromboli that I thought I'd try. I'd never heard of Stromboli before, but the recipe looked healthy and delicious, so I gave it a go.
I bought a pre-made pizza dough from our local grocer because, let's face it, I'm not going to be making dough from scratch anytime soon. I was hoping to find whole wheat dough, but had to settle for white dough this time.
After rolling out the dough into a rectangular-ish state and placing it upon a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, I added some yummy ingredients to make the feast suited to our tastes. We added half of a diced red onion, two diced tomatoes, one diced red pepper, two chopped veggie sausages, and a cup of mozzarella cheese. I made little slits in the dough, then brought the slits together in a sort of braid in order to fancy that action up. Brushing egg whites on top, adding some herbs (oregano and basil) and sprinkling some Parmesan cheese helped to make it even more tasty.
Here it is as I prepared to put it into the oven at 350˚F for 25-30 minutes (until golden).
And here it is ready to eat.
We served it with pizza sauce and it was VERY yummy. I love that you can personalize it to suit your tastes and change it up when you like. I'm thinking black olives would be great as well as broccoli. The possibilities are endless, really.
I'm resurrecting the comments on the blog. I miss them.


That looks delish! An alternative to calling for pizza delivery.
ReplyDeleteI missed comments too...
Keep smilin!
If you have a bread machine, pizza dough is SO easy. And freaking good.
ReplyDeleteWhoo hooo for comments back on.
Yay, yay, yay....comments!!!
ReplyDeleteMmmm...this looks delicious! Going to pin this and give it a try sometime! Thanks for sharing this yumminess with us!
I'd like to fancy that action up…
ReplyDeleteBoooo to comments. Just thought I'd be contrary.
Who are you??? I am impressed at how far you have come in the cooking department!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!
yummy - I'll have to give this one a try. Both my girls love anything with broccoli so I'm thinking a broccoli, chicken and cheese one would go over nicely at dinnertime here
ReplyDeleteHooray comments back on!
ReplyDeleteI concur with the bread maker. All you have to do is throw your ingredients inside and away you go.