We have been doing a lot of painting and I have realized that we need an easel pronto. This realization came after we attempted to clean off the "washable" paint that made its way onto our walls only to find out that it doesn't really come off all that well. Oh well. At least the kids are learning and improving their fine motor skills.
Catherine and I are AVID "Pinners" and have been finding many great activities for the kids to enjoy (you can follow my Pins by clicking on the "Pinterest" button in the sidebar). Catherine blogged about two activities that we thought we'd try as well.
The first activity involved pompoms, pie tins with coloured circles at the bottom and chopsticks. The idea is that the kids use the chopsticks to put the pompoms into the correctly coloured tins. Only, we didn't have pompoms, chopsticks or pie tins. We improvised with salad tongs, colourful playdoh balls and egg cartons lined with construction paper. It worked! The tongs were a little too large for the kids' small hands, so they changed it up to suit their needs.
The next activity was a HUGE hit with the twins. We bought some glow sticks from the local dollar store, placed them in the water in the bathtub, turned out the lights and let the kids play in the bath in the dark with only the neon light of the glow sticks illuminating the room. What fun! I have pictures and video, but most are too revealing for the blog. This is the only picture I have that is fit for public viewing.
A trusted activity that we participate in on a regular basis (and have used quite a bit this week) is our cookie sheet chalkboards. I spray painted these old cookie sheets in the summer with chalkboard paint in preparation for our long road trip to the cottage. The twins love to draw on them and love to erase even more.
While these activities have been a fun way to pass the rainy days, we are ready for some sun. Let's hope we see that sunshine soon!






I love the art wall! A wonder twin gallery.
ReplyDeleteThe bath with glow sticks is a hit in our house too. SO much fun!
I have not been able to find chalkboard paint...I may need to make my own. I want to modify my tray to add that chalkboard feature.
The twins have the sweetest, softest voices. I miss hearing it.
Keep smilin!
Wow! In the 2nd sorting pic Pea sure looks like Chick! Often they look quite different from one another but that one with the curls....wow!
ReplyDeleteHeh, you're a brave, brave woman to let them paint like that! Until you get an easel, what about buying a clear piece of plastic at the dollar store (table cloth?) that you could tape to the walls for now?
So much indoor fun!!
Gotta run....there migh be new things to pin!!
I've said it before, I will be taking tips from you for when it's our turn.
ReplyDeleteWhat great activities to keep the two occupied.