Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mommy Guilt

As a mom to twins, I always look forward to the weekends when the ratio of adults to children equalizes. Chick and Pea can get equal snuggle time, can have a personal play companion and can have someone respond to their needs quickly.
Some weekends are better than others. If we could redo this weekend, we would. Sigh.
On Saturday, I was on the sidewalk in front of our house with Chick when disaster struck. She loves to walk on the sidewalk and likes to exercise her independence by walking ahead of me. I decided to "pretend" chase her, then scoop her up from behind and sway her up and down through my legs. Only, she let her arms go limp when I scooped her up and she fell, head first, onto the sidewalk. I. Lost. My. Mind.
Luckily, J. was in the garage and heard my screams (and Chick's) and came running. I wanted to call 911 and rush her to the hospital, but J. convinced me to calm down and call Telehealth. The friendly nurse asked me a bunch of questions then gave us a list of things to do for 24 hours. We had to give her only clear fluids for the first two hours, check for "raccoon eyes", and be sure that she wasn't leaking any red fluid from her nose, ears or mouth. We also had to check on her every two hours through the night. By "we" I knew that meant "me". So, every couple of hours I crept into Chick's room, stared at her over the side of the crib, then gently woke her to make sure she could move her arms and legs and that she could look directly at me. She thought I was insane, I'm sure.
Photobucket
Taken this afternoon - 24 hours after "Sidewalkgate"

She's fine, but I have huge guilt over the whole thing.

Today, J. had to work an 11 hour overtime shift leaving me at home with the babies. About an hour into his absence, I noticed that Pea was drooling an awful lot (something he has never really done in his life). He was also very clingy and whiny. I decided to stick my finger in his mouth to check for signs of teeth and sure enough, I could see the tip of his first right molar peeking through. Poor puppet. No wonder he wanted me to pick him up all day. Sigh.
Photobucket

The babies are both asleep and J. will soon be home. I survived a difficult weekend physically, but I'm still a little frazzled mentally.  Mommy guilt is a huge part of parenthood that is not really discussed in prenatal books. 

10 comments:

  1. Mommy guilt has been kicking my butt ever since I became a mom! It's one of the things I struggle with almost every day. So glad to hear Chick is okay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Chick is fine....you will be too but it will take a whole lot longer. Mummy guilt is nasty, hangs around forever and makes you catch your breath when you least expect it. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommy guilt is one thing they don't explain...but you are an AMAZING Mommy and things happen..
    Hugz..
    Love the photos.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Sisterhood of Mommy Guilt. It's not really an exclusive club, but all the members are occasionally wracked with guilt over something we perceive to have done wrong. Like say...the time I gave Adam a horrible black eye but nudging him up the stairs with my knee, trying to tease him. He fell FLAT onto the wooden stair and came up with a huge shiner. There is nothing quite like looking at your kid for the next week and knowing that YOU gave him that black eye. Sigh. I think we at the Sisterhood of Mommy Guilt should have our own hotline. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear Chick is okay. Hopefully Pea's tooth will come in quickly and won't hurt too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mommy guilt. The gift that keeps on giving. I often ask myself, is my still husband upset? Is my kid still upset? If the answer is no than I work hard at choosing to not torment myself. Which is easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mommy guilt is the worst...and nothing anyone says makes it any better. I'm glad Chick is alright after her fall.

    It's been 2.5 years since the adults officially became outnumbered in my house, and my kids don't seem to much worse for wear. I'm 100% sure Chick and Pea get all the attention they need from you throughout the week, it's just hard to see that yourself (we are always too hard on ourselves as mothers).

    ReplyDelete
  8. There should be a book about 'mommy guilt'! I can't believe what a mess of guilt I have - almost on a daily basis. It's rough!

    Nugget took a tumble this weekend into our kitchen cabinet. Not only was this his first major bump with us, but there was a cut too. It is a horrible feeling. I wish I could wrap him up in bubble wrap until he masters walking.

    Drool!! Poor Nugget is also cutting molars. He cut two on the left side of his mouth, and last night I noticed one is coming in on the right. I had no idea on baby could drool so much. :o)

    I hope it's not terrible to say, but I am glad that I am not alone with all of this. I felt like such a bad mom, it's good to know that that is a normal feeling.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HUGE ((hugs)) sweet friend! Little accidents happen so quickly and oh the guilt! Glad to hear Chick healed quickly and praying mommy does too.

    Anytime J works OT and you'd like company please call. At least then the average works out to only 1 1/2 to 1 so we're not quite so outnumber...right? That also means no potty breaks though as it leaves one poor sucker at a 3 to 1 disadvantage and our 3 loves just wait for those opportunities! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh hugs doll! Being a parent of twins is twice the guilt - especially when you want to do the same thing for both children but can't do it at the same time. Never fear, the kids love you no matter what!

    Be kind to yourself and remember you're learning just as much as they are, too.

    ReplyDelete