
J. and I have always lived quite simply. However, since I am now on an extended leave of absence from teaching, we have to find ways to make every dollar stretch as creatively as possible. In the past month we have made some changes to our lifestyle which, instead of feeling like sacrifices, have felt liberating and exciting.
We have cut our television channels to the most basic package offered and have done the same with our telephone. We no longer have a long distance plan (who are we kidding...I never called anyone anyway) and no longer use the air conditioning. We shop at stores that price match other stores and never buy anything unless it's on sale. And don't even get me started on my coupon filing system. It's awesome.
Almost all of the clothes the babies wear have been graciously given to us or lent to us by dear friends and they are well clad until they are three or four. Anything else they need we buy at consignment shops (we have great ones around here).
See this picture? I took it today. It's of the babies' clothing drying on our brand new clothesline! We have a gas dryer that is fairly economical, but certainly not as economical as using free wind. And, really...how long will the government allow wind to remain free? I kid. Kinda.
Still, we search for ways to save, yet still enjoy a casual and fun-filled life. Any other ideas are more than welcome. What do you do to make your dollar stretch?
I like to buy baby clothes at consignment stores - on sale - take really good care of them and then resell them on consignment.
ReplyDeleteWe also take advantage of our MC points system for free groceries. We save a LOT of money on food that way.
Also, when I'm like, really thirsty and I want a Venti macchiato I just get a Tall instead.
I'm a President's Choice fan and do all my banking there. Have earned literally thousands of dollars in free groceries just doing normal banking and never, ever pay any service fees either.
ReplyDeleteAlso, it may sound simple but I am one who speeds up in the car slowly when pulling away from lights or stop signs. Also, have slowed my speed...most of the time :o) both for the safety of Baby on Board and also to save gas money.
I'll be honest that I'm not very good at saving pennies so will be watching other's responses for great suggestions.
Ditto on President's Choice MC - I have saved a lot by redeeming points for free groceries.
ReplyDeleteWe bought a small deep freezer for the basement so I can stock up on our favourites when they are on sale. And you already do meal planning which I find also saves on grocery shopping.
Friends are a great way to save...hand-me-downs, trading books and toys as kids grow out of things.
For me the kids are older and it seems they always want to do things which cost money. So I'm always looking for fun free/cheap activities. IKEA is one of our favourites. Also things like family days at the local art gallery, local festivals put on by the city, etc. If you look around, it's usually not hard to find something fun on a weekend to keep the kids entertained for little or no money.
It looks like you have room for a garden.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas, everyone! Thanks! A garden is on our list for next spring, Anonymous. I can't wait to grow my own herbs and veggies. Since we live in Canada, I can't have one year-round, but I will start it good and early come spring.
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT..
ReplyDeleteI sooo want a clothesline. that is one thing you don't see here in AZ.. probably the sun would ruin your clothes..
Hugz..
Garden is yummy..
wish I had garden room..
Have a great Sat..
Ditto all the free fun things to do. We all pass our things around.
ReplyDeletePark dates when everyone brings food are great and inexpensive fun. We do this once a week and have for a couple of years.
Oh the clothing line is the best ever. We have NO dishwasher. We opted out when we last moved and it is a huge savings. Husky is back...gas station. $3.00 coupons for gas helps. The coupon file. YES! I have for years and keep it in my car. Shop around with grocery if you can. I go to Food Basics and No Frills only on Thursday because this is when the sales start. And don't be afraid to bargain in the shops. I do it. Growing up in Italy I watched my grandmother talk a shop keeper down and YES you can here too! I have an email account dedicated just to companies that give freebies, contests, and the like. Last week we got our venus (pk) of 12 razors and two bottles of Dove shampoo...just for signing up! Hope this helps. AND use Dollarama, it is amazing what you can find there!:0)
ReplyDeleteBuying in bulk helps. Things like non-perishables, toilet paper, etc.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a local paper, they usually have events that are free or low expense to attend.
Oh, I forgot about Freecycle. They're local groups where you can post unwanted items you want to give away or post a listing for something you need. It's a great way to keep items out of landfills when there's still life in it.
ReplyDeleteValue Village is the bomb! Cooking big and freezing is the best way to avoid the tendency to eat out or order in.
ReplyDeleteLots of great ideas!
Keep smilin!
Value Village is the bomb! Cooking big and freezing is the best way to avoid the tendency to eat out or order in.
ReplyDeleteLots of great ideas!
Keep smilin!
Love the clothesline! My dryer died a year and a half ago and I STILL haven't replaced it - we dry clothes on drying racks year round - it saves a TON of money. In the winter it helps add humidity to the heated inside air and in the summertime the evaporation actually makes the room feel cooler in the air conditioning.
ReplyDeleteSure it takes a little more work upfront to fold and arrange clothes on the rack & hang on hangers, but when they're dry they're practically already folded or hung up.