Monday, May 17, 2010

My BIG Craft Project

Remember when I wrote that I was undertaking a my very first craft project as a mom? Well, it's complete and I couldn't be happier with the result! I had to work diligently around nap times and when the babies went to bed each night, but it paid off.
I talked about my quest for meaningful play in this post and when I came across the idea for this project, I knew it was one for me.
Take a look!


Photobucket

Family and Friends Building Blocks!
Each block has a picture of a friend/family member and has their name on the opposite side.


Photobucket

Our beautiful family!


Photobucket

Wonderful Friends


Photobucket

Grandparents


Photobucket

Best Friends


Photobucket

 More Wonderful Family

You get the idea.  Each family has their own paper design, so the babies can sort them in a myriad of ways: by paper families, by children, by adults, by mommies and daddies, etc.).  Sorting, classifying and patterning are important learning tools, so I was excited to bring this to light with this project.  Listen, I know that all the babies will do with these blocks for now is chew on them (and that's totally okay) but later we'll see all sorts of good stuff come from them. I can't wait!

One of the best things about this project is the cost. Here's the breakdown:
1. One piece of 2x8 maple (J. cut them into 1.5 inch blocks) = $2
2. Scrapbooking paper = $0 (I had a ton of it left over)
3.Non Toxic Mod Podge = $10 (approximately with taxes)
4. Printing pictures = $5
5. Sandpaper = $0 (J. had a bunch of it)
Total cost = $17 and change. 
Considering I saw this same idea on Etsy and that the seller was asking $25 for THREE blocks, I think I did pretty well. I have 30 blocks in total, so it would have cost much more had I not done it myself.
The blocks aren't perfect, but what family is? 
Can't wait to see the babies play with these!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on unleashing your inner crafter! You go girl. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. What a great idea! I am sure Chick and Pea will have a ton of fun with these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO COOL! I love, love LOVE that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...I Love it!! I am impressed but I am always impressed by your awesomeness.

    Keep smilin!

    (P.S. I may steal this idea from you...is that okay?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive!
    That was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! I am impressed!! I am also honoured to have made the cube!!

    I hope Chick and Pea have hours and hours of fun with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMW..
    Those are the cutest..
    LOVE THEM..
    Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project and so much fun to come for the babies...and mommy!

    If they chew our faces is that a sign of adoration?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super cool idea! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are great! Very important that they're chew/drool-proof.

    You could start your own little side business. You know, with your copious free time...

    ReplyDelete