I am a teacher and since education is in my blood it won't come as a shock to anyone the importance I place on strategic stimulation. Literacy is particularly important to me and since the babies' brains are developing at warp speed, it is important to take advantage of their pliability.
There is a wonderful teacher's store in Canada that also doubles as a parent's dream. There are many, many early literacy books, manipulatives and games that empower parents in their quest for meaningful play.
Yesterday, I headed out in search of a manipulative that would act as a learning tool in a variety of ways. I easily could have spent hundreds of dollars and the better part of my evening in the store, but with a twin budget I had to hold back. I settled on a very cool ABCs line. The cool thing about this line is that the letters are clings! Instead of putting them on our walls with sticky tack, they cling to ANY surface and can be peeled off and reclung (?) again! Cool, right? The other reason I chose these particular clings is that I can teach them colors (since each letter has its own color), I can teach them numbers (some letters have two objects or more on them) and I can sign the objects (and eventually they will sign back) that are representative of the letters.
I know...I get too excited about stuff like this.
Here are the babies' reactions to the new "toy". We are only starting out with A, B and C for now (these letters are on our fridge since the babies like to spend a lot of time around it).

Fun stuff!! I am a pro at singing the Alphabet song now.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to see our little ones develop and take it in and it becomes a part of them.
Keep smilin!
Those are some nice letter charts!
ReplyDeleteAND - some cute babies in front of your fridge.
Love it..
ReplyDeleteHave a great week..
Hugs..
That is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteCool! I love that idea. Not a stereotypical "toy". JUST what babies like...and what moms like too. :-)
ReplyDelete