Thursday, March 25, 2010

In The Night

You woke in the night - screams that seemed to make framed prints dance on the walls. My half sleeping legs couldn't take me to you quickly enough and when my arms reached you, your body was rigid with fear. Back arching, head turning from side to side and arms thrashing, my whispers of love weren't enough.  My whole body enveloped you in safety, but it wasn't enough. 
I brought you, still screaming, to my bed.  I on my side, you on yours facing me.  Skin to skin, hearts beating together.  Feeling the rise and fall of your chest, your sweet breath began to slow and you quieted almost instantly.  I held you so close that you could have disappeared into me.
For over an hour you slept peacefully, while I breathed in your innocence, your purity and your reliance.  When your eyes finally fluttered open and connected with mine, recognition swept across your face in a wide grin. The nightmare was over.  Our day could begin.

7 comments:

  1. Poor little love! These nightmares are the worst! My sweetie has had some and it breaks my heart that she has to go through them to come out on the other side. Little love.

    You captured this awful moment so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Pea. I am so glad that you were there to make it better for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, that scared scream is the worse noise on Earth.

    Some days, the 30 seconds it takes to heat the bottle takes forever and I will the seconds to pass faster so that I can ease my sweet girls anxiety and thirst.

    Sweet pea...hope his dreams are as sweet as he is.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what babies dream about, but the nightmares must be just as bad or worse than what we experience, based on how they react.

    Burrito has had night terrors a few times. Thankfully just a few -- I don't know how often I could take it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for both you and your sweetie. It is so hard. Tears and hugs for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy. I hope tonight is a nightmare free night for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I SO loved to hear this. Not because your sweet boy had a nightmare, that's never nice. But because....I guess with a child like Adam, who is still struggling with attachment, I am constantly amazed at how those early months mean so much to the child. How much they develop and grow and THAT is the time of life when they learn to trust unconditionally. Makes me sad to think he still needs to know that we'll be here for him, sometimes he doesn't quite believe it, I think.
    Sorry to make that about us. It's just that I think it is SO wonderful to hear of that kind of love, that knowledge that your son has that you will come and protect him, comfort him, be there. It is utterly priceless.

    I can't even describe it enough. I hope you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete