Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Bullets

  • Pea has another tooth (this makes three).  It's his first canine and I discovered it yesterday while feeding him.  A few nights ago, he was up quite often through the night and was so sad.  I wonder if it broke through then.
  •  Chick has NO teeth.
  •  We are at a standstill with regard to strollers.  We "test drove" two yesterday that we loved.  One is the Valco Tri Mode and the other is the Baby Jogger City Elite.  Can't decide. 
  •  We need a bigger SUV.  We currently have a Jeep Liberty and, although we LOVE it, it is not big enough to handle the car seats (without pushing the front seats too far forward) and the double stroller.  I know it's not politically correct to own an SUV any longer, but we need the space. 
  •  I bought seven spring outfits for the babies at a consignment shop yesterday.  The total cost was $45.  Can't beat that!
  • My friend Almamay recommended we try baby led weaning and we are having a great time with it.  So far the babies have had toast with hummus, steamed broccoli, banana biscuits, asparagus, bits of veggie sushi (mostly rice, avocado and seaweed), baked apples, plums, and whole wheat pasta, kiwi, nectarines, peaches, cucumber, whole milk yogurt, bananas and potatoes. I love it and they love it too. They especially love holding the food and bringing it to their mouths on their own.
  • The babies haven't required a bottle in the middle of the night for a while now.  We still bring two bottles with us when we go to bed, but tonight we are giving it up altogether.  They have proven to us that they no longer need the MOTN feed, so we will follow their lead.  
  • Speaking of bottles, we put away all of our Dr. Brown's glass bottles and bought 6 plastic bottles last week (they are MUCH easier to clean).  However, after giving it a week, we decided that the babies drink much better out of the Dr. B. bottles, so we are back to cleaning all the parts.  Oh well.  I'd rather have them drink all their milk than leave it because they are frustrated with the effort it takes to drink out of the plastic.  
  • Ask yourself this question:  When was the last time you walked up to a complete stranger and put your fingers on their lips/mouth?  Why do people think it is appropriate to do this to BABIES?  It frustrates me to no end when people do this to the twins.  What makes you think it is OKAY to do?  I don't care if you just washed your hands...DON'T DO IT!  Ack!
  • We are teaching the babies sign language and it is helping their language development.  So far, they know many words including "milk", "cookie", and "cat".  They are not yet making the signs, but when we do it, they know what it means.  We don't refer to the kitty as Bear anymore because we know it will confuse them, so any time Bear walks near the babies, we make the sign for cat and say "CAT".  Pea LOVES Bear...sometimes a little TOO much and rips out clumps of fur.  Chick could take Bear or leave him. 
  • The babies have been asleep for almost two hours.  I love naps!
  • Some things I need to remember:
Click to enlarge

    8 comments:

    1. I know this was one really long post but I am hung up on one bullet and one bullet only...people touch the twins mouths? Eeww, I think I would slap them! I get freaked out when strangers touch my girls ANYWHERE at all on their bodies including just their hair. Ack is an understatement.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds like things are going really well..
      The twins are growing up soo fast..
      Have a great Sunday..
      Hugs..

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm going to get the Baby Jogger City Select, but I don't have the same jogging needs that you do.

      You could show the touchy people what they're doing by touching their mouths in return. I am the queen of dirty looks whenever anyone goes near the babies.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I don't think I've ever seen anyone touch a baby's mouth....that is just weird behaviour. Must be a "down East" kind of thing....you people are strange down there.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Everything sounds like it is going really well. I'm so pleased that you are all enjoying baby led weaning (BLW) too. We just fed our son and he LOVES his food and our meals are such happy times. I'm glad BLW was suggested to us as it has made introducing food to our son a delight instead of a stressful time. Plus it's great for hand eye coordination.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Why and Who would touch their mouths? I makes so sense to me...Cheeks maybe - which bugs the crap out of me - but mouths??

      ReplyDelete
    7. My number one rule? Don't touch someone else without asking permission. And - if it's a baby - you ask the parents.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I would smack their hand away! After dealing with a stomach flu for over a week, do not touch my baby unless I know you and where your hands have been!

      Daph def. tends toward the BLW. She never really liked the pureed and needed the texture. I love feeding all sorts of new things. Tonight was avocado!

      Keep smilin!

      ReplyDelete