We signed the babies up for swimming lessons and yesterday was lesson number one. If you are a regular reader of the blog, you'll remember our first foray into aquatics with the young ones. It wasn't a stellar performance on our parts.
We thought we were well prepared. We had packed a bag the night before and stuffed it full with diapers, towels, swimwear, flip flops, and sleepers for afterward. See? Totally on the ball. I told K2 I wanted to be on the road by 4:00 for the 5:00 lesson. We arrived at the venue at 4:20 and decided to sit in the Jeep until 4:30 when we would make the trek to the change rooms (the babies had fallen asleep on the way and we thought we should allow them to sleep a little longer before taking them inside). At 4:30, we grabbed the babies and headed into the aquatics center. As we walked, I looked back at K2 and asked him to make sure he grabbed the bag 'o swim stuff. He stopped dead in his tracks. I knew...at that moment, I knew. We had forgotten THE BAG! Ugh. We did not have enough time to travel all the way back home to get the bag, so we put our problem solving caps on and made some alternate plans. I would take the babies into the center while K2 would go to a nearby Wa*lMar*t to buy two towels and two sleepers for the babies. As he drove away, I realized that neither of us had our swimsuits and wondered if K2 would realize that as well (we don't each have a cell phone). Nope. He returned with the towels and sleepers, but without a swimsuit for himself or for me. So, back to Wa*lMar*t he went to get himself some trunks. I told him that he could take Pea swimming and Chick and I would sit out this week (she had a bit of a fever before we left anyway, so it was best that she not swim).
When all was said and done, Pea and K2 entered the water at 5:08pm. A little late, but at least they experienced the lesson. Chick and I watched from the sidelines and it was fun to see Pea and K2 splashing in the water.
The best thing about the whole experience was that we were able to laugh at ourselves for forgetting. I think a lot of couples would have snapped at each other, blamed each other or would have given up and gone home. We are a work in progress, but that's okay.
Over the weekend I took the babies on an outing. I was careful to bring extra bottles in case we got stuck somewhere. When we were out, I realized that I had diapers, bibs, extra clothes, diaper cream, pacifiers, and plenty of formula, but I had forgotten the nipples for the bottles!
ReplyDeleteI have been known to take the WHOLE family swimming and FORGET THE STINKING TOWELS. Oh yes, for EIGHT people. "Okay, everyone, dance around and get dry...." Um, yeah.
ReplyDeleteThat is too funny!! Good for you for sticking with it. But really - were you THAT upset that you didn't get to go in the water? Really?
ReplyDeleteYou might be a work in progress, but at least you make a great team!
ReplyDeleteWent to the beach one time and realised I had forgotten Lily's cossie! Duh.
ReplyDeleteWe always laugh too. You have 2 babies so you must be giggling all the time cos it is so easy to make little mistakes.
Glad Pea got some splashy time and had his fans on the sideline.
You guys are too funny! Glad to hear it worked out in the end and that you have a story to tell Chick and Pea when they're heading to the pool some day in the future. Heh....you make me giggle!
ReplyDeleteYou two are hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you take the positive side of situations as a couple - life with twins is hard enough, but so much better with laughter.
And as long as you don't forget the babies anywhere you should be fine:)
That is funny! That'll be a great story for when they get older.
ReplyDeleteOh my, one of THOSE days, huh?
ReplyDeleteSo glad you could both laugh at yourselves:)
I love that attitude and togetherness you two share. Inspiring to me!
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!