Although the vomiting has stopped and she no longer has a fever, we are still struggling with Chick and her sickness. It's difficult to get formula into her and last night she refused to take a little bit of Pedialyte. Hopefully, we'll turn the corner today. She is still asleep after a rough night, but Pea is up and babbling away in the jumparoo. He has so much to say this morning! Thankfully, he has not caught whatever it is that Chick has.
I have a question for everyone who is a parent or who hopes to be a parent.
If you could go back in time (or forward if you are not a parent yet) and have a talk with your new-parent self, what would you say?
I'd have some specific advice about breastfeeding and the Baby Blues. I'd also tell myself to prepare for the physical aspects of recovery from pregnancy and birth.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'd suggest taking hand and footprints right after they got home from the hospital instead of a couple months after, to capture how truly tiny they were.
Otherwise I think new-parent me was pretty well prepared.
I'd tell myself to involve my husband more.
ReplyDeleteI'd tell myself that colic really does end.
I'd tell myself to stop worrying and just enjoy.
I hope Chick is feeling better soon. Poor little thing. Sending good thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThis answer to your question may not help, but I would say, 'After eight long years you're about to be a parent. It's okay to be scared -Lord knows I am! You will make mistakes -Thank Heavens babies are resilient! Life is about to change BIG TIME! Bring it on!! I'm ready, I hope!!'
Sorry if that isn't what you're looking for, but it's what my brain is saying early this morning before my first cup of tea.
Hope you can get some rest! Hope Chick is better and Pea stay healthy!!
I would tell myself to live in the moment more and to not worry about the small stuff. To enjoy moments as a family because it really does go by so fast. However, I'd also tell myself that it is okay to step away every now and then and have some alone time, because I will be a parent when I do.
ReplyDeleteHope Chickie feels better really soon.
I feel your pain! It is scary and yucky and truly not fun.
ReplyDeleteI would say that wounds do heal.
Parenting stuff...I am still learning.
Keep smilin!
I'd say, "relax, follow her lead. She'll teach you how to be a mom." She's been my best guide and I had no idea that would be the case and it is the coolest thing. I see a blog post in this one day. :-)
ReplyDeleteHope Chick feels much better very soon and no one else gets sick!
I would DEFINITELY relax more and not think my baby would die if I did "such and such". I would be less worried and have more fun. And I would quit worrying about trying to follow everyone's advice. I would choose a few people I really respected and stick with THEIR advice, also knowing that my child is different from their child, who is different from everyone else's child.
ReplyDeleteSomething like that, anyway. :-)
I echo the others. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy.
ReplyDeleteWhat seemed like a huge deal at the time all turned out to be small stuff I shouldn't have wasted so much time and effort on.
I would have taken more pictures and written more down. Stuff I thought I would never forget I have forgotten.
Hope Chick is better today.
Hope your weekend went well and your little Chick is better today.
ReplyDeleteI would too stress less on small things and have more fun playing with my girl.
I'll see if I can do that with #2!
I hope Chick feels better soon! I don't know if I would have any advice for new parent me. I became a new parent for the first time over 9 years ago and I was pretty relaxed with her, but I think that's because I did go with the piece of advice I do give to all new moms, "Trust your instincts when it comes to your children. You are the one that knows them best."
ReplyDeleteAs a mom to 6 and 3 year old girls I'd say embrace the drama. I babysit for 3 boys and they will just hit eachother and forget the problem. Girls tend to cry and make a big deal. Just expect differences and be ready for them :)
ReplyDeleteAlso if I could go back, I'd never see "that mom" in the store opening up a package of cookies, or pushing her cart full of crying toddlers throwing groceries in as fast as she can, and think "OH MY! I'll never resort to those tactics. MY kids will NEVER behave like that." {giggle}
I apoligize to all those mom's I judged, since I am now one of them ;)
You do what you have to do and don't sweat the small stuff :)