Friday, November 28, 2008

Update on "Suspended"

I started calling "Suspended's" mom (using her cell phone number, her work number and her home phone number) at 7:50am and the last call I made today was at 4:35pm. I have left messages on all three voice mails, but have not received a call back. I should say that this is not the norm. Most of the parents of my students are very involved and very supportive. This is a very strange turn of events.
I spoke with my principal early this morning to get some advice on how to navigate this issue and he advised me to continue to call the parent and to double or triple the detentions. If Suspended does not show up to even one of those detentions, her pseudonym will be her reality.
Suspended showed up to class today fifteen minutes late. I opened the door a teeny-tiny crack and waited for her to speak. She said, "Hi. I'm late." (I never said she was a brilliant girl). I told her that she was not welcome in my class and that she should report to the principal (where she DENIED everything). No matter. I will get phone records if I have to.
So, I will continue to call her mom throughout the weekend with the hope of touching base and letting her know that her daughter is up the creek. I really hope to ruin Suspended's weekend.
TGIF, people. TGIF.

10 comments:

  1. Dear K1

    I am glad to hear that your parents are supportive and involved. Soon "Mom" will get one of your messages and so will Suspended. It will be a lesson this young lady will long remember.
    Yes, TGIF, and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I'm glad you sent her to the principal's office. She needs to learn she can't behave that way. I'm so proud of you!

    Hopefully the mom will wake up and call you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good times huh? Wish I could have seen her face when you only opened the door a crack. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calm blue ocean...calm blue ocean...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the mom didn't call back. Hopefully by your persistance she'll realize how serious this really is.

    Hat's off to you friend. You have a tough job and do it AMAZINGLY well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One has to wonder how involved her mother is if she doesn't even pick up a call when her daughter's school is ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Suspended is intercepting her Mom's voicemails. She sounds sneaky enough to do it but is she smart enough is the question.

    Shame you will have to spend your weekend working. Hope your find Mom quickly and can have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope so, too. But I hope your weekend is not runined in the process.

    Creepy kid...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un-fricken-believable! Obviously Suspended is learning a lot from her Mom...sad, sad, sad.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just cringe when I hear stories like this. I hope Suspended will figure things out soon.

    ReplyDelete