I survived my appointment at the Las*ik Eye clinic yesterday and, despite the lovely service and friendly staff, I am opting not to subject my eyes to the laser. I am not afraid of the procedure, nor am I worried that there will be some catasrophe with my eyes immediately following the surgery. My concern is for the long term implications. The research is only fifteen years old or so and I would just like to have more long term research to study prior to going through with it. Also, I should never have Googled "Las*ik Horror Stories". Shudder
I have not been sleeping since the time change on the weekend. Insomnia bites, man. I love sleep too much to be deprived of it and the days are so much harder when one is struggling with fatigue. As much as I love watching reruns of Magnum PI at 2:00am, it's time for a nice, long slumber tonight. I could feel the irritability with my fifth period class today. It's harder for me to be patient with 16 year olds when I haven't had enough sleep. For my sake (and theirs) it's time for a good night's rest.
To my American friends, I hope that each of you made it out to vote today and that whomever is elected can unite the nation energy and hope.


The thought of having something like that to my eyes freaks me out. I suffer from insomnia on a regular basis and it is so hard. I finally asked my doctor for a prescription for Ambien and it works like a charm, but I won't take it every night because I'm afraid I will become addicted to it and then won't be able to sleep without it. It is very helpful for those times when the insomnia lasts for several days and I am practically falling over from exhaustion.
ReplyDeleteI am FREAKED out by the surgery. That is why I wouldn't do it. I haven't looked into any long term effects.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you sleep well tonight.
I HATE insomnia. I seem to get it in waves. I'll go several nights and not be able to sleep. You're correct, it does make teaching so much more difficult. My fuse is short which seems to make the days longer. Terrible cycle. Have you tried Tylenol PM? Those seem to help me when it's really rough.
ReplyDeleteHope you got some sleep last night.
Darn, and I was hoping you'd be a guinea pig for me... oh well. And the insomnia? Do I ever hear you. I don't like turning to the pharmas, but Tylenol simply sleep has helped on occasion when I need to get back in rhythm. That and sheer yoga-induced exhaustion...
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you saw the light. It works really well for lots of people. But for some, it damages their vision and this cannot be repaired. Did you talk with Tim?
ReplyDeletesound decision, i think, we're a lot alike that way.
ReplyDeleteand what is UP with the insomnia?? i'm suffering with you but maybe ... oh wait, yeah- i was on THE PHONE 'til 4 AM, yeah... oh it's that LOVE thing.
damn.
he needs to hurry up and MOVE here.
I'm not brave enough to let anyone do surgery on my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI've used Tylenol PM on occasion and it works well, relaxes me just enough to sleep without the disturbing dreams I seem to have constantly but doesn't leave me groggy in the morning. Give it a try.
That is one of the reasons I haven't looked into laser surgery just yet. Not enough proof that I'm not going to go blind in 20 years.
ReplyDeleteSorry you're not sleeping. You're right. that does suck.
As someone who suffers from periodic insomnia you have my sympathies. It SUCKS! Hope you get back to your regular sleep patterns soon.
ReplyDeleteInsomnia DOES bite. It's torture. got so used to it I just call it my regular lack-of-sleep pattern now.
ReplyDeleteI had LASIK in 1996, never looked back and love it. It was a real transformation in my life for sure. Not blind yet ;0)