Today has been one of those days. Like, stick-your-head-in-the-oven-and-call-it-a-day days. The topper, though, of the day of all days was a phone call I made after school to a "parent" of a student in one of my classes. You see, this particular student (we'll call her "Suspended" for the sake of protecting her identity) did not complete two assignments due this week. One assignment was to prepare her for a unit test she has tomorrow. As with all students who do not complete their work for me, I told Suspended to meet me after school in my classroom for a detention. I would have had her complete the questions, then send her on her way. However, Suspended was a no show.
So, I called Suspended's mom at home the first chance I got and this is how the conversation went:
Person who answered the phone: Hello?
Me (recognizing the voice of Suspended): Hello, may I please speak with Mrs. So and So?
Her: This is her.
Me: Uh...Mrs. So and So?
Her: Yes.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry. We must have a bad connection because you sound nothing like yourself.
Her: Silence.
Me: Mrs. So and So, do you remember our last conversation about Suspended?
Her: Yes...
Me: Can you remind me what we chatted about in our last conversation?
Her: CLICK!
She hung up on me. No. Joke.
The little bugger actually tried to pull this over on me and LOST. So, instead of calling her back, I called her mom's work and left a message on her work voice mail.
So, friends. What do you think? How would YOU handle this one tomorrow?
P.S. As incredibly lame as this stunt was, it still doesn't beat the time a 7 year old told me that I wasn't "Woman Enough" to get him off of the swing. Sigh.

Are you KIDDING me????? Wow -- what nerve. Don't know what I'd do about this one off the top of my head, but I'd sorta be tempted to have a bit of fun with it. Probably wouldn't, when it came down to it, but it's tempting.
ReplyDeleteCari
I am at a complete loss of words that a student would actually pull something like that.
ReplyDeleteI would say something like I was talking to your Mother yesterday and she didn't sound like herself is everything ok?
Man you could not pay me enough to do what you do and you do it so WELL they should pay you DOUBLE!!!
Keep smiling 1 day 'till the weekend!!!
Mark
Dear K1
ReplyDeleteI love it and can't wait to find out the ending of this story tomorrow.
I would like to predict that Mom has done a great job of raising Suspended and Suspended could do no wrong so K1, it must be your fault!
Love
Dad
Okay.....I wasn't laughing until the last part about being "woman enough". Oh dear me. The STORIES that you will tell, girl!
ReplyDeleteAs for Suspended....perhaps her name should be changed to "Expelled"? LOL! Really, of all things! I would NEVER have had the nerve to do that to a teacher when I was a kid. I would have been KILLED, yes K.I.L.L.E.D. by my mom, and I KNEW IT! Wow.
PS- Your Dad's comments were RIGHT on the money. It's your fault, of course. Her precious child couldn't have done anything wrong.
ReplyDeleteOH MY WORD! I can't believe that Suspended spoke to you like that.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear how this plays out.
You don't get paid enough!
lol!! Classic. You should totally write a book about your teaching experiences. It would become a best seller and you could then quit teaching! :D
ReplyDeleteOh the life of a teacher! I can't believe the nerve of that kid. Honestly!
ReplyDeleteI love your dad's take on it . . . so true. :)
k
Are you serious?? I can't believe she had the chutzpah to do that. I would be scared out of my mind at being caught.
ReplyDeleteI think you should confront her in a round about way. Like Mark said, tell her that you called her mom and you got disconnected. And let her know you left a message at work.
However, there is a very good chance that she won't show up to class tomorrow since it is Friday. She may show up on Monday in the hopes that you forgot during the weekend.
I love how you handled it so far...looking forward to the rest of it tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteBusted! I hope her mother gives her what for.
ReplyDeleteAs for the seven year old, what the heck? He must have heard that expression at home. A lot...
When I taught 6th grade, a girl brought a little bottle of booze to school. I busted her to the principal and the girl told the principal that it wasn't booze, it was spoiled koolaid!! The dumb bastard made her leave it with him and sent her back to my room - no consequences. I feel for ya, sister!
ReplyDeleteLove it...the audacity and mind thought that Suspended thinks she knows it all and is smarter then you.
ReplyDeleteLittle did she know she was trying to mess with K1!!!
Keep smilin!
I would hunt momma down any way I could.
ReplyDeleteAre you asking me what I would do as the kid the teacher or the parent?
ReplyDeleteAs the kid, I could never have done that, I am not sure I could do it as an adult.
As the teacher, I think you should inquire after her mother and ask if they have had a chat yet.
As the parent, I am thinking something along the lines of grounding until she proves to me she should be ungrounded.
May I just say Wow you handled it great.
I LOVE the way you've handled this so far. Like Rhonda said I can't wait to see how it plays out.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately your Dad is right (as they often are).
I just rolled on the floor laughing at your last comment about the 7 year old and the swing. I'm so glad that I'm done with that crap. (for now anyway)
There are days when I wonder if my life would be calmer if I switched to a profession such as... say, teaching. Then I check in with you and realize 'nope'!
ReplyDeleteGoing up the read the ending next. Sure hope that parent called you back. Can't believe 'Suspended' had the gall to try and pull that off. Duh!!
ReplyDeleteOK...on to read the rest...