Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Safe And Sound

We had the first little dump of the season tonight and, as in any first real snowfall, drivers lose their minds and forget to slow down.  I promise that I am not one of those people.

On my way home from school tonight and in the first dump of the season the brakes failed on the Yahoo (the Toy.ota Yar.is). One minute I was happily driving home, enjoying 680 News and salivating at the thought of the veggie burger awaiting me. The next minute, I was white knuckling the steering wheel and approaching one of the busiest intersections in town. I have slid through intersections before when the roads were so icy that navigating was impossible, but this was a different kind of issue.  This was not about the snow.  Pumping the brakes, all I heard was the crunch and crackle of whatever was happening in the mechanics of the car.  Looking up, I saw the red light ahead, but couldn't get the car to do what it was supposed to do.  I was terrified.  I didn't see my life flash before my eyes, I didn't freeze up, all I could think about was how my death would kill my mom. 

Our family (like so many other families out there) has endured a kind of tragedy that is beyond description.  I'll never write about it here, but I know that we can't go through that again. I am a pretty strong person, but tonight I felt more vulnerable than I have in a very long time.  We are all so vulnerable and life is fleeting.

I managed to steer the car away from the intersection and get home safely, but not without a lot of shaking and while driving so slow that I had to put my hazards on.  K2 inspected the brake fluid and even drove it a little when I got home and, of course, the brakes worked perfectly for him.  No matter, though, because K2 will get the Yahoo looked at by a professional tomorrow and I will move back behind the wheel of our very safe 4x4 Jeep.  I'm still a little shaky.

23 comments:

  1. snow.tires.

    We look like Big Foot Monsta Van.
    I drive to Pickering and back from T.O. Last year every snow storm happened Tues nights (when I work) and tonight it's supposed to snow into tomorrow. Mark my words, it snows on Tuesdays.

    Glad you made it home to shake another day. Kick back, have some pinot and call it a night. Have K2 rub your feet. I'm guessing he does that too. But I'm not bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Scary isn't even the right word. I'm so glad that you're safe. Please be careful bringing in he car tomorrow.

    Have a glass of wine and some chocolate tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are okay. That is too scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes...reading that made me nervy. Happy that you are home safe & sound.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap, that's awful. I'm SO glad that you're safe!

    Drink (a lot of) wine and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my....too scary, m'dear. I am so glad you are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness K1 . . . that sounds very scary!!! I'm sure it will take a while to get over that and you'll be a little paranoid for the next little while. I'm so glad you're ok and it all turned out fine.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh K1! SO scary! My palms were sweaty reading this and my heart is still racing. I'm SO GLAD that you're ok. (hugs) friend. Here's hoping the mechanics can find out the problem as something caused that awful loss of your breaks.

    Very, very thankful that you're ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you're okay! HOw frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is scary and nerve racking! I actually found my hands clenched as I was reading. So glad you're home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes. Scary. I'm glad you're home safe with a tummy full of veggie burger. Enjoy that Jeep tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness that is scarey! And a new car too! Hope it all checks out and thank God you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phew!! I almost had to go see Twilight by myself this weekend. Thank you for not getting crumpled!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That must have been so scary! I HATE driving in the snow. I'm glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! I am so glad to read that you are ok. Scary stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very scary. Glad you made it home safe and sound. I can't imagine what you felt when you were approaching the intersection. I dealt with brake failure only once and I was going slow on a side street, not nearly as scary as a busy street.

    How are you today?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh K1! How scary! I'm so glad you are okay. Sending some AZ sunshine your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. holy crap - scary. It was super slippery last night and I slid a couple of times.....but the brakes worked. I hope you've stopped shaking - yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear that you're okay. That had to be a completely terrifying experience.

    ReplyDelete