Since really immersing myself in EWG's site, I've discovered how to change our household in order to promote the maximum health of our family. The site can be daunting, but over the past little while, we've been making small changes that are helping to green up our lives. Case in point, our electric skillet (coated with teflon) has been traded in for a non toxic cast iron pan. Isn't she pretty? I'm in love.
Chick has been suffering this week. Since she got sick early last month (croup), she has not fully recovered and now has some mystery illness that has baffled doctors. My gut was telling me we needed to get another opinion from yet another doctor. Yesterday, we saw a doctor who finally gave us the diagnosis that made the most sense to us. Treatment has begun and we hope to see our sweet girl back to herself soon. I hate to see her in so much pain.
Due to the contagious nature of Chick's illness, we are sad to be missing a play date with these girls and a birthday party of another sweet girl tomorrow.
Pea fell out of his bed the other night (at 3:00am, to be exact). I heard a loud THUD, then crying. I bolted to his room fully expecting that he fell off the side of the bed where there is a break between the side rails and the headboard only to see him at the foot of the bed. That boy can travel! He was back to sleep within 30 seconds of cuddling, but needless to say, we'll be putting some soft pillows at the foot of his bed from now on.
I was supposed to have a fasting blood test two months ago. Every night, I try to remind myself not to have breakfast the next morning so that I can get it done. I have yet to remember not to eat in the morning.
J. and I bought a Gr0upon a long while ago to make some wine from a local winery. Turns out, the wine isn't so great and we have 30 bottles to consume. What's a couple to do when summer is approaching and we dislike the wine we have on hand? Make Sangria! Yum!
When J. and I were dating a long, long, long time ago (18 years ago, to be exact) he would come to Montreal to visit (where I was going to university) and we would often scope out the best places for Sangria. One weekend, we borrowed some bikes from a friend, rode them into Old Montreal from the Student Ghetto, then sat on a patio drinking pitcher after pitcher of the best sangria we had ever tasted. We didn't really have the forethought to realize what the ride home would be like after sitting under the hot summer sun drinking Sangria all afternoon. Death defying, to say the least.
I was all, "Please don't kill me, scary Montreal drivers!"
And J. was all, "More Sangria!"
Good times. Who knew that 18 years later we'd be sitting on our own "patio", sipping homemade tasty sangria, while watching our children running around playing?
Can't beat that.

Good for you greening up your home bit by bit. You make me so proud!
ReplyDeleteGlad Chick will soon feel better and that Pea didn't hurt himself falling out of bed.
I'm not a bit surprised that you found such a resourceful way to NOT waste that much alcohol.
I always use a cast iron pan for Burrito and Tamale's food (mostly I make eggs in the pan) but I've been disappointed at the elbow grease required to clean the pan. It doesn't have the nice smooth surface that the old-fashioned pans do, so it's only non-stick when I use quite a bit of butter (which is fine for little ones, but less so for us). I've inconsistently mastered scrambled eggs without sticking.
ReplyDeleteThe only place I've ever had sangria was in Montreal! On Prince Arthur, though, instead of Old Montreal. Montreal was also the first place I ever drank (the first time was a couple of cups of Molson from a pitcher, in a bar not far from the Ghetto). And my only Century Club experience occurred in the Ghetto. I've really not done much drinking in life, but apparently a good portion of it has occurred in Montreal.
Hope Chick feels better soon.
ReplyDeleteTis a shame there is no video of the bike ride!
We were so sorry to miss our playdate too! Poor sweet Chick! Sure hope she's on the mend!
ReplyDeleteLOL....I got a cast iron frying pan this week too! Took if for a test drive this morning but the challenge is how to clean it. It's got a bit of a pitted surface that just doesn't want to come clean. Any suggestions?
Glad to hear you've found a way to put your not-the-best wine to good use. I think a game of Settler's is called for with the two of you drinking that sangria and a win just might be in order for the Coke girl! :o)
Missed you greatly today!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have looked at the EWG site and yes it is daunting.
ReplyDeleteI love my cast iron pan. I don't use it enough though. Did you season it? From what others have written, if you oil the pan after each use, before storing, the clean up it pretty easy.
I really hope that Chick is on the mend soon. Never fun when a little is not feeling well.
Hopefully you can have a make up date with C&H.
Pea fell out of the bed? Poor little guy. Someone should invent 'around the bed' cushions for young ones that are new to 'big' beds.
Note on coffee maker to not eat, I know that has to be the first place you do in the morning.
Mark wants to share some Sangria with you!
18 years together?? WOW!!!
I should take a look at that site. It's never a bad idea to try to greenify your home.
ReplyDeleteI too hope Chick starts to feel better soon. I can't imagine what it's like to have a little one sick at home.
Shawn once fell out of bed too. I put pillows on his side the next night. He didn't appreciate it. I'm sure Pea will.
You can also use the wine to cook.
Great memories and great new memories!
Hats off! We have a cast iron pan...I never use it. Dan lurves it! Hate cleaning it.
ReplyDeleteHope munchkins are feeling better.
Save some Sangria for when we visit!
Keep smilin!