Monday, February 14, 2011

Seriously?

  • Remember this post in which I discussed how our house is falling apart many things around here need replacing/fixing?  Well, on Friday at precisely 5:02pm, our furnace made a sad little sound, chugged along until Sunday morning, then finally succumbed to it's death.  So, first the hot water tank, then the faucet, then the microwave, then the plasma, then our vacuum and now the furnace.  If the shingles give way, we'll just consider our house a convertible and go on with our lives.
  • We are without heat and while it's been okay yesterday and this morning, tonight it's supposed to go down to -21C or -6F.  We have a gas fireplace that has been doing a great job keeping us warm on the main level, but the upper level is still quite chilly.  We have some companies coming by this afternoon to give us quotes on a new furnace.  Hope we can get one installed as early as tomorrow!
  • Something tore apart and killed our yard bunny on the weekend. We woke up to pieces of it everywhere.  Poor little thing.  J. had the fun task of picking up the pieces and discarding it. It's sad that we won't see its little paw prints in the snow any longer.
  • J. cut his finger on his only day off in 8 days yesterday and spent some time getting stitched up at the hospital.  Poor guy. Isn't it pretty, though?  I am going to try to convince him to let me take out the stitches in 10 days.  I've already done some research online, so it's like I'm an expert.
  • In his defense, he hasn't hurt himself (badly) in a long while.  I used to be so accustomed to him coming in from the garage, the basement, or the yard holding a bloody cloth that it rarely fazed me.  Last night took me a bit by surprise.
  •  Would it be inappropriate to put the twins to sleep in their snowsuits tonight?
  • A technician just left with our furnace motor.  He said that he may have an extra one that he uses to teach his interns.  If he does, he will install it for us so that we can get through the night with heat until he can install a new furnace for us tomorrow.  Let's hope he's got one!
  • Tonight's dinner is homemade soup and tomato and provolone spirals.  At least our tummies will be warm!
  • Oh...it's Valentine's Day.  We don't really celebrate it, but Happy V-Day to everyone out there.  We'll join the love-fest in March on St. Patty's Day. Now THAT is our kind of happiness.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man!! It doesn't rain but it pours!! I was going to give you the name of my amazing, inexpensive furnace guy but it looks like you have everything under control. Hope his fix works for the night. If not, it's worth the drive to your friend's house and you can bunk with us!

    Happy Valentine's Day!! I said 'Happy Valentine's Day!' to Hannah and she responded with, 'Happy NooNoo!' Poor kiddo, just when she was getting 'Happy (CNY) New Year' under control we went and changed the holiday!

    Soup sounds yummy. Enjoy! Here's to warm tummies and a warm house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean our furnace is going to die now too??? Oh man!

    Glad you've stayed warm so far. And glad your hubby is okay too. I can't wait to see the pictures of nurse K taking out the stitches! Please post!

    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to replace the whole heating system a couple of years ago, but at least we were able to do it before it pooped out (and when it wasn't cold). However, we've had more heat-free winter incidents than I can count: running out of oil multiple times, blackout of almost a week, etc. Our walkout basement has electric heat, which suffices when it's just the oil or the furnace (twins nap in there anyway, and the guest beds are there for us), but when there's been no power, we've had to flee!

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!! I am so sorry.

    How old is your furnace? It can't be that old.

    I think you need to buy a lottery ticket!

    Sorry about the bunny.

    I had stitches once and took them out myself. I didn't do any research. Therefore you are much more qualified than I. I think J SHOULD let you take them out!

    I think that the twins would look cute sleeping in their snow suits!

    I hope you got a temporary motor for the night.

    Dinner sounds good! I hope it tasted good.

    Happy V-day to you too. Not our thing around here either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it rains it pours. Wow you guys have a lot going on.

    I hope J's finger heals soon.

    Happy V day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craptastic! Hope J's finger is better soon.

    We had spaghetti and wine for V Day. No fuss but lots of love.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete