Long Winded Tonight
- A couple of people commented that I had had a little too much wine before the surgery I performed on J. I'll have you all know that I hadn't had a drop! You can actually see my untouched glass of wine on the counter behind J. in the first 7 seconds of the video. I'm a professional, people.
- I've attempted two little activities with the twins over the past couple of days. Both bombed big time. The first was to fill zip lock bags with shaving cream and food coloring, then have the twins explore the texture and integration of color. Both looked at the bags, squeezed them once or twice, then dropped them in favor of pulling back the area rug and licking the floor. The second activity was to fill containers with snow and bring them inside so the twins could explore the sensation of snow without the frigidity of the outside. Well, some snow ended up on the floor and Chick slipped and hit her head. Pea heard her crying and wanted nothing to do with the snow; as if the snow had hit her in the head.
- Pea pooped in the potty this morning. It was during "naked time" (more on that later) and I saw him in "position-to-poo" so I grabbed the potty and sat him on it. I took a picture of him with his potty poo, made a big deal about it, then we said goodbye to his poo in the toilet. As I emailed J. the news, Pea peed on the slide.
- I am not potty-training the twins, lest anyone think I have lost my mind. They are only 18 months old. However, if the opportunity to save our floors during "naked time" presents itself, I will take it.
- We have a biter. Pea, with his full set of teeth (minus his two-year molars) has a fierce and aggressive bite. He doesn't bite J. or me, but his poor sister ends each day with teeth marks somewhere on her body. He does it when he is frustrated and wants a toy/object with which she is playing. We tend to give Chick all the attention when it happens and refrain from responding to Pea with any emotion, but we are at a loss as to what else to do. We try to intervene before it happens and we know the antecedent, but we can't always be there in time to prevent the biting.
- I wish grocery stores would have carts equipped with two seats for kids. Some stores have them, but most do not. It makes getting groceries with twins very difficult.
- As it stands now, I take one baby out of a car seat, then continue to hold him or her while and until I get the other out of his or her car seat. It's not easy, but I get it done. In order to keep them safe in parking lots as I get each in or out of their car seats, I'm trying to teach them to hold onto my pant leg while I tend to the other. Pea is good about it, but Chick likes to roam.
- We had an energy audit done on our home last week (before we spend every last dime we had on a new furnace). The report came back yesterday and our home is in excellent condition in terms of energy retention. There were a few recommendations to improve the efficiency of our home (re-caulking windows, adjusting the hatch of our attic and putting new insulation around some vents) and we are taking the appropriate steps. It feels good to know that the energy we use is used well.
- At what point can I expect the twins to stop snacking on crayons?
I was just having a conversation at my twin club meeting about grocery shopping with twins. I do take them to Target, which has two-seat carts, but not to the grocery store (the closest one doesn't have two-seaters, but the one 5 minutes away does). I tried to go to the grocery store last week but there weren't any double carts in the parking lot cart returns, and no employees wandering around the parking lot when it's so cold, so I gave up. It turns out that there's a call button outside where I could drive up and ask an employee to bring me that kind of cart.
ReplyDeleteOne of the women in my club goes to a grocery store that doesn't have two-seat carts and she says that she puts one toddler on her back in the Ergo and the other in the cart.
I have taken the babies to the closer store a few times but could only get as many groceries as fit in the compartment under the stroller.
We have naked time in our house, too . . . you know, for the kids:) It's good for them, and if you get a chance to use the potty then go for it!
ReplyDeleteAs for shopping, I used to park next to the cart return and plug the twins into the basket of a cart as we got out, and push them inside the store. If it was cold out we'd switch to a warm cart inside. If the carts weren't two seaters, which most of them arent, I'd fold up the seat and put them both in the basket. They would usually end up munching on an opened box of crackers to keep their hands entertained during the shopping. Once Angelfish came along I had to put her carseat in the cart seat and both twins in the basket. Lots of stupid people commented on how there was no room for anything but kids in my cart . . .well?? It certainly helped me keep to my budget:)
Moms of toddler twins have to get VERY creative sometimes!!!
I don't have twins but I still ahve a real hard time shopping with my two little ones too. Good news on the energy audit. We didn't bother doing one on this house but we know that the new one will be tons better. No advice on the biting but I hope he quits that soon. Poor Chic is too young for that sort of tatoo.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giggles. I needed those today.
ReplyDeleteI have some advice for the biting...but you might not like it! My mom always said that the only way to cure a biter was to bite them back. :( Sounds awful, i know! But it does work. I bit my daughter back, and she's now 13 and still loves me!! Or you could always sing the "People Aren't Food" song written by Cam on Modern Family! hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteI think I needed the wine just to watch the video - and you know I don't drink! You did a great job fixing Daddy!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Pea!! Heh, I thought I was the only crazy person who wanted to take a pic of their first poopy on the potty! I'm in good company and that's all that matters. PS - Thanks for not blogging that pic. ;o)
Poor Chick! Bites are awful!! I have a hitter and am at a loss how to handle it properly. It doesn't happen often bu I just wish I knew the best way to handle it. I'll be reading here to see if anyone recommends ideas for your little guy and see if I can incorportate them too.
I think of you so often when I put Hannah in a cart and also the carseat. I saw you in action last week and you were amazing taking the kids out....putting them in....taking them out...putting them in....repeat!! I promise to research our destinations better in the future! :o)
Note to self: Be thankful friend brining slide to Hannah's party Sat is a clean gal so will have cleaned the pee pee slide! I didn't know it was a water slide you were brining!! :o)
Ugh on the biting! 2 out of my 3 kids have used that as a toddler in response to frustration. I can't remember how we broke the habit other than constantly redirecting and telling them it hurts and we don't hurt people. You are definately doing the right thing by giving the positive attention to Chick.
ReplyDeleteLike another commenter, when shopping with a toddler I always park very close to the cart return and grab a cart for walking through the parking lot.
I think you filled up the empty wine glass with water and just told us it was untouched.
ReplyDeleteSorry your two activities didn't work out how you wanted them to. Live and learn.
YAY Pea!! At least the slide isn't absorbent.
Toilet training two at the same time will be hard. Will you do one at a time?
Sorry Pea is biting. I have no words of wisdom.
I have only noticed that the smaller stores - Shoppers etc have one seat for kids. Our grocery store has two seats.
You must have some great arm muscles to hold one while taking the other out of the car - I'm impressed. What if you don't have pant legs in the summer?
Good job on the energy audit.
Crayons - not my cup of tea, however, I can see the allure.