We must read this book nearly 50 times a day. Seriously. It came to a point where J. and I had grown so weary of reading it, that we bought more in the series by the same author just to mix things up for ourselves. So, now we have Polar Bear Polar Bear and Baby Bear Baby Bear as well. The kids simply adore the pictures and the sing song melody of the words. The predictability is key for them.
The teacher in me decided to run with this interest and now we are fully into our first thematic unit. Last week, I downloaded a template for the animals, printed them out and laminated them. This week, I bought some teeny magnets*, affixed them to the laminated animals and now have them displayed on the fridge. There are so many activities that one can do with this book and my head is spinning with language development ideas. Today, though, all we did was play with the pictures (it was the twins' first time seeing them) and organize them as we read the story.
This section of our thematic unit cost under $5. A cheap way to build upon the kids' interests!
*The twins are only allowed to play with the animals under supervision. Those magnets, although affixed with a glue gun, are not chew proof. So, the animals stay higher up on the fridge when not supervised.



That is by far Rowan's favourite book too. Thanks for the inspiration! (you keener you. ;-D)
ReplyDeleteYou can take the teacher out of the classroom...
ReplyDeleteWe read Brown Bear dozens of times a day too.
A suggestion for your next set of magnets: use printable magnetic sheets. Still not chew-proof, but don't pose the same choking hazard (or that weird thing about two magnets getting stuck together in their gut) of small magnets. That's what I'd do, anyway, though it might end up a bit more expensive than your method.
My babies currently don't care for magnets; we have some magnetic toys and whenever I stick them up onto a metal surface, the babies run over and knock them down.
I was going to suggest magnetic sheets like BSIBS and also, Dollarstore in the craft section sell rolls of magnetic, sticky back tape.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a good mom!
Keep smilin!
what a great idea! Leah is almost 3 and she still loves those books.
ReplyDeleteWhat a GREAT idea!
ReplyDeleteZ LOVES Polar Bear Polar Bear... I can't tell you how many times I've read that book. I need to get the brown bear book, too.
That's a great idea! Way to go.
ReplyDeleteCool magnets. Great thinking Momma.
ReplyDeletei really like your style of parenting and i hope one day i'll be just as good. a good friend of mine (and potential love interest, it's complicated) has a daughter of 23 months and he is no longer with the mother, so i try to help him with ideas of what to do when he sees his daughter because he doesn't know how to let her just be a kid. i already gave him information for the ontario early years centre in cobourg. so i just want to say, thank you, and i definitely look up to you with regard to your parenting and love to learn from you in that way. still! imagine that :)
ReplyDelete