Last year at this time Pea struggled so much with sleep and I, as a result, spent much of my time rocking him (standing up because he wouldn't let me sit) in his room and in the dark. I would open up his blinds to look outside while I was rocking him and would sometimes see my neighbor (a mom to two young kids) in her kitchen on her computer or in her living room watching TV. Okay, so after writing that, I know it sounds a little creepy, but it really wasn't anything other than a passing glance.
What I remember most is the feeling I had when I saw this.
It wasn't envy or jealousy. It wasn't confusion or sadness. It was more like wonder.
I wondered when/if there would come a time when I could relax in the evenings instead of hustling to boil water, cool it, make six bottles for the night feedings, try to have something to eat for dinner, then rock Pea in his room when he was in the thick of horrible colic. There was no down time for us, no time to watch television, to decompress, and to wind down in preparation for the night and next day.
Recently it occurred to me that we are no longer those harried, sleep deprived parents of two newborns. After the babies went to sleep tonight at 7:00pm, J. and I went through the fall television schedule and set our PVR to record all the shows we've missed and all the ones we would like to start watching. We've both been sitting here on the couch since 7:15pm. Not one of us has moved and it is now 9:45pm. The next move will be up the stairs to bed. I will check on Chick first and will likely see her atop her blanket with her rump in the air (she will sleep soundly until 7:30am when she'll wake up quietly to play in her crib). I will then check on Pea who will likely have spun 180 degrees in his crib and will be clutching his "Blankie" with a white-knuckled grip (he will wake sometime between 4-5am when I will scoop him up and take him into bed with us where he will sleep soundly until 6:30am).
A far cry from where we were at this time last year.
If a new mom is watching us from her baby's window tonight, I would want her to know that these hard days and nights won't last forever. I would wish that she wouldn't feel lonely at 3:00am looking out at dark houses and quiet streets. I would tell her not to doubt her ability to soothe her baby and to stop reading all those "helpful" theories about how to get a child to sleep through the night (if it were so easy, there wouldn't be a million books on the subject).
Mostly, though, I would tell her to breathe in deeply the scent of her little one. As much as those first few months wore us down, I never took for granted the time spent in that dark room with Pea. The feeling of his warm, rhythmic breath on my neck and his warm body against mine was not lost amid the fatigue and doubt.
It's another feeling I won't ever forget. And, between you and me, it totally trumps that feeling of wonder I had.
I can so relate to this post. We have come so far with Tahlia and there were SO many awful nights, but looking back now I am grateful for that experience. I can honestly say it made me stronger.
ReplyDeleteGreat post.
Beautiful. I too can relate to the new changes that our little ones are experiencing and in turn giving us a little more time to regroup and refresh for the next day. After almost a year of staying in my room while Hannah slept I am finally starting to leave her for an hour or so each evening and come downstairs to get a few things done and yes, enjoy some tv time too. Mommy time.
ReplyDeleteShe still wakes a couple of times each evening (I had the priviledge of stopping in the middle of this post to go scoop her up and cuddle my baby and soothe her back to sleep) but I wouldn't change these moments for anything.
You had a rough go there at the beginning and you were absolutely amazing! I stood by in awe and amazement and learned so much from you. You're a great teacher at all times friend.
I hear that. I remember in China wondering what will our life be. And thinking that we are never going to have time for ourselves. Now, I make myself stop and sit and rock/cuddle. Cause it is all going by so so quickly. And I look at my "scar" and it reminds me to stop and take this moment in.
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
Wonderful post! I'm so happy you're getting that time for yourselves, too. It is so important.
ReplyDeleteFunny, my girl sleeps soundly through the night and my boy makes his way into my bed to cuddle with me around 4-5 AM, too . . .must be a girl/boy twin thing!
Beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteI always remind new moms of that too. Because it's SO important to know that there's a light at the end of the sleep-deprived tunnel. Oh, and I always remind moms of toddlers that they won't always have to change their beds constantly and wipe crayon off the walls. Oops. You're not in that stage yet, are you? Something to look forward to....LOL! I can never decide what "stage" I like the best because....well, I like them all. :-)
ReplyDeleteWell said.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it is nice to "breathe in deeply the scent" of our little ones at 3:00am, I'm sure glad you get to wait until the morning:)
Oh boy - I remember those sleep deprived days. With a little pneumonia added in. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteBri is four now and loves to sleep. That makes me a happy mama!
I have read this post a few times over the last few days. It gripped my heart. I recall those days as yesterday but now I see them as changing agents of time and need. All things come to pass but to acknowledge as eloquently as you have done is reward. ~
ReplyDelete