Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Something's Wrong...**Update**

Bear hasn't been himself since we came home from the vet yesterday.  He was vaccinated and on his "report card" it states that it is normal for him to be "quiet" for up to 24 hours.  We are heading into the 34th hour and he is hiding, is crying every now and then, seems to be licking back nausea and won't let us cuddle with him (which, if you know Bear, is most UNlike him).  I'm worried and feeling nauseous myself. 
Why do things like this ALWAYS happen in the evening when we cannot get in touch with the vet?  There is an emergency clinic, but it costs $150 just to walk in the door.
I'm hoping that he is just having a delayed reaction to the vaccine and that he will be better by morning.  Is this normal?  I am sick to my stomach.

**I stayed up with him for a long time last night just petting his head and listening to him breathe.  I fell asleep at some point and when I woke this morning, he was bright eyed and bushy tailed....literally.  I called the vet, just to make sure, and she said that it is not unusual for an older cat to have a more difficult time with the vaccine than a younger one.  Next time, I will be demanding an anti-nausea medication before we come home so that he doesn't have to deal with an icky tummy. The vet also said that all of his blood work came back perfectly normal, so another relief!

I felt so badly for him last night and just wanted to take it all on for him.  I'm so happy that he is feeling better today and is back to his cuddly self.  Thanks for all of your support!!

25 comments:

  1. Is this his first time or is he getting up into his senior years? My kitty who used to love the vet now in her old age cannot even go without getting so stressed she gets sick. Hope he's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I don't have any advice. Just good wishes that he is back to his old self soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that this can be a "normal" reaction for kids to vaccines, and I would assume the same could be said for pets. It is one of the reasons we have hesitated to vax our kittens (we are going to vax them, but I am putting it off until they are a few weeks older).

    I hope he is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he's feeling better soon. Sending good thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I knew what to tell you. I usually load the dog up in the car whenever anything is out of the ordinary, though. She's so high maintenance! Follow your gut feeling about it.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know. I hope he's OK. Maybe he just got nervous and it will take him awhile to recover.

    (I'm sure he senses your nerves too. Try to relax and sleep and check with them in the morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I hope it is just a delayed reaction to the meds. Sending you all big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea about cats. I hope he is better today. Thoughts coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the poor little guy. Hope he's back to normal really soon. Keep us posted.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that he is doing better this morning and that it's just a bad reaction to his shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get him checked. I know cats and dogs can have bad reactions to vaccines like we can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. any news today? now I'm worried... hope he's better already.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping Bear is feeling better today, were thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs...Daisy now feels bad and sore for a few days after. Takes her much longer then before. Before = non event. Now = pain, crying (both of us) and lots of wine (me).

    If there is no physical reaction, hang on and see if you can speak to the vet.

    Daisy gets mad at us and is standoffish after a vet visit...animals have their moods too.

    HUGS! Here for you...

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SOOO glad to hear that Bear is doing better! I read the original post and when I tried to comment, my internet crapped out (been like that for 2 weeks now, would be nice if Hubby got in that...lol). I was going to tell you that I have 4 cats and at least one of them behaves the same way after a vet visit and it could take a few days before she's back to her good old self again. But I'm glad all things are well again in Casa de Kayak!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. K1 &K2
    Bear is just getting even with you for leaving him with us while you went on your holiday to the Barbados. Do you now feel guilty? Good!
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO glad that Bear is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad Bear is doing better! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I am soooo glad to hear Bear is back to himself...I can only imagine what you went both went thru.

    I also loved your last post with G-man! Too cute, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad bear is doing better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    I am back and doing a catch up, glad to see Bear is back to himself again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy bear is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh good..I'm so glad Bear is feeling better. Dan took Bailey in to see the vet yesterday because she was limping when she walked. After blood tests and an exam she's not limping anymore! :) I guess she wanted a little extra attention, who knows.

    What would we do without our pets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My heart is happier now.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete