The mosquito netting is closed on three sides and is open on the side nearest the house. This morning, I stood at the patio door window, morning coffee in hand, and watched a little wren hopping about on the patio stones. She was the littlest wee thing and seemed to hop around as though she had lungs filled with helium. In the blink of an eye, she flew up and into our sunshade.
...“Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.”...Panicked, she couldn't find her way out and kept bouncing off of the three sides where the mosquito netting was zippered shut. Oblivious to the side that was completely open, she struggled for a good ten minutes. She would flutter up to one closed side, then hop around on the grass beneath...flutter up another side then hop around beneath again. Ten minutes of this before she finally realized there was another way out. When she found the opening, she flew up as high as she thought she could and disappeared into the blue sky.
I stood and watched the struggle and subsequent freedom in its entirety. All the while, I coached her in my head:
"Come on, little one, you can do it. You can find your way out of this. There's another way out."
And, she found it. She found her way and soared higher than she probably ever thought she could.
I couldn't help but look at her and think that she represented a little something in me.

Indeed, a little something in all of us. In taking a moment of quiet to re-evaluate there is almost always another way.
ReplyDeleteCarry on we will...always hoping no one zippers up that 4th side.
I love how you put things.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome. And very, very true...for everyone, I think.
ReplyDeleteI love this post :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful metaphor. I know you have it to soar and go as high as you can. I believe in you.
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
That's a great story ... with a deeper meaning. So very true.
ReplyDeleteSaved from the netting, the little bird flies to the sky.
ReplyDeleteGood observation 2K sometimes we all feel that there is no way out and I'm sure that God is there urging us on because he can see what we can't ;-)
ReplyDeleteMoggy
Very insightful. Although when I first started reading, I was expecting you to drop your coffee and run out there to rescue the poor thing from itself. :) I know how difficult it must have been for you to have to watch that struggle for so long.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely parable. Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteI too agree that your story represents something in all of us waiting.
ReplyDeleteOh, that was so sweet...I love that you saw yourself in the wren. Brought me to tears, actually.
ReplyDeleteYou've been thru so much. I think of you all the time!
Keep flyin'...