Friday, July 25, 2008

Does Anybody Know?

Why does it take women at least six weeks to work off one week of indulgence and it takes men only a few days? Honestly!

In an effort to help the process along, I have been out for a run every day this week and we spent the better part of today paddling out on Lake Ontario. I'm not sure what the weather was like in other parts of North America today, but if you were lucky enough to be in Southeastern Ontario and even luckier to be off work, you enjoyed one of THE most beautiful days of the summer yet.

The beach was crowded and the waves were strong, but we still managed to get out there and play in our 'yaks. At one point, after we had come in from the water, we both fell asleep in our lounge chairs. I had slathered my little Irish self in SPF 30, but my even more Irish K2 had forgotten to apply it to his legs and to his stomach. Needless to say, he's a bit crimson this evening.

It was in the waves of this particular beach that I flipped my kayak a couple of summers ago and when I thought I was going to lose my life (I was actually able to stand up in the water, but that is besides the point).  In the picture below, I have a smile on my face, but I was petrified that I would either run into an innocent child playing in the water or flip over and humiliate myself all over again.  Thankfully, neither happened and I was able to safely bring my kayak into shore.

12 comments:

  1. Hey! It was nice here today too...but I spent the day at work (sigh)...your day looked like MUCH more fun!

    And, I do NOT have the answer to the question you posed. Life just isn't fair! But, you my friend, look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what is up with that metabolism mix up?! Women already have to deal with all the cramping, bloating, bleeding and child bearing- couldn't we have been cut a break with a man's aerobic ability?

    Love your pic and glad you guys got to enjoy your 'yaks.

    And your twig comment made me laugh SO FREAKING HARD. :) I'll tell you, he helped his father-in-law take a tree down, was sweating a lot and wiping his forehead- poison ivy. It's on his arms too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are looking good out there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice here too. Today it will only get up to 102 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so relaxing and fun! I was at work.....

    Alyson LID 01/27/06

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures!!!

    I know what you mean - my husband can cut ice cream out of his diet for 2 weeks and loose 10lbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Six weeks? I'm working on year 3! Sounds like an incredible day, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful day it was!! So glad you and K2 were able to take your yaks and enjoy your time in the sun and on the beautiful waters of Lake Ontario! Today hasn't started off to sunny but hopefully later today. This is a funny summer....we need to take our umbrellas and sunscreen with us most days because we're never quite sure what the weather is going to be like.

    PS - I so hear you about the vacation padding. It's tough to lose but maybe that's because my intake hasn't decreased from vacation mode. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once upon a time, we started to eat really well and I exercised everyday while Shawn did not. The dial on the scale did not move for me for three weeks. In the same time period, Shawn told me he lost about 5 pounds just from eating well. Not fair at all.

    Looks like your weather is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so know what you mean! Men have is easy in so many ways!! :) Oh well, you look great anyway!! Glad to see your out on the kayak again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look amazing so no need to deprive yourself! Hot stuff!

    I am so glad that you got to enjoy the day. It was gorgeous out and I live vicariously thru your fun activities as I was stuck in the office.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete