I am an introvert. I represent 25% of the population. We are a misunderstood people.
No, I am not shy. In fact, I am an articulate, introspective and assertive woman who never backs away from conflict. I think inwardly, not outwardly. In meetings and in some social situations, it may appear as though I am glazing over or not paying attention. This is far from accurate.
There is a hell - to be alone. And a heaven - to be able to be it.
- Paul Bjerre
Introverts process information differently than extroverts and, as such, instead of discussing our thoughts, we develop an internal log of self-talk. Sometimes, this self-talk or inward processing is viewed as inattention or complacency.
No, I am not a hermit. While extroverts seem to come alive around other people and be energized by the presence of many, we introverts become drained in social situations. It isn't that we dislike being around people, it is merely that we re-energize by being alone. It's the whole "I'm okay, you're okay...in small doses" mentality. This explains my hatred for the telephone - it is an invasion into my alone time. I used to worry that my need to be alone was a symptom of some underlying social anxiety, but research to the contrary has educated me. Introverts require massive amounts of time alone. We relish it, crave it and need it to function wholly in society.
No, I am not sad or angry. Introverts tend not to wear their feelings on their faces. Since my teenage years, countless people have asked me if I am angry, in a bad mood and one principal even took me into her office to ask why I seemed so sad. Introverts can be difficult to read. Inside, we may feel perfectly content, enjoying our day and happy to be alive. Our outside expression may not reflect this. It's okay. I read just this past weekend that "extroverts are like lighthouses, casting lights outside of themselves and introverts tend to glow from within". K2 (my resident extrovert) is often described as warm, easy-going, light hearted, and fun (he is all of these things outwardly). I am often described as guarded, hard to read, serious, and exclusive. Such negative terms. I understand why people are frustrated by their inability to figure me out, but my orientation is not outward, it is inward.
No, I am not socially inept. Introverts dislike small talk and find it difficult to carry on conversations with little meaning. If we have to talk, we want it to mean something, to have some benefit to our day and to make it a worthwhile energy expending experience. Talking, for introverts, is rarely off the cuff. We rehearse, choose our words carefully, think critically about which thoughts to share and doing all of this just to shoot the breeze about the weather is exhausting. Give us substance.
We can be friends! Some of the most important people in my life are extroverts. K2, my nephew G., my wonderful friend Catherine, and even my new office mate. Akin to my ability to recognize the strengths of their personalities, each of them respects mine.
Go on! Hug an introvert today! On second thought, introverts like their personal space, so send them an email instead.
Consider yourself hugged by Ava and I!
ReplyDeleteHugging you here also.
ReplyDelete(((Hug))))
I am an extrovert but I too HATE small talk. Admittedly I will avoid an acquaintance at the market just to avoid the "how are you"..."fine"...blah, blah, blah. I feel like a jerk for doing it, but it is what it is.
ReplyDeleteHugs.
Oh friend! Love you too! I love the way that our personalities compliment one another and that we bring out the best in each other.
ReplyDeleteGet ready 'cuz I'm coming in for da big (((hug)))! Love you SO MUCH and am so thankful for the amazing friendship that you and I share.
PS - still huggin...and I know that's just fine with you. :o)
You and I are a lot alike. I married a TOTAL extrovert and we make a great team. I'll go hug him now :-)
ReplyDeleteI am an extrovert but I ABHOR stupid small talk. At work I am introverted. I reserve the real me for real life with real people like you.
ReplyDeleteHUGS!
Keep smilin!
I so feel this!
ReplyDeleteI'm very much an outward thinker and am really perked up by interaction, but I know that need for alone time, too. Mr. JB is VERY much an introvert. For the longest time I couldn't understand why the thought of weekend guests made his blood run cold...now I have a much better idea....
Too funny! My husband is a big time introvert and of course I'm the complete opposite! He's working on getting "out" more this year though.
ReplyDeleteI am used to introverts. My dad is one. He is very quite and seemingly shy, but a wonderful, deep man when you get to know him. My friends used to be scared of him because he was so quiet. It never really bothered me. It made me feel safe. My hubby is an introvert. He is quite fine with spending most of his time alone. Which works great for our marriage because I like to go out and socialize....:-) Plus, I can chat like crazy to him and he just listens. He doesn't mind at all, as long as he has some time for himself during the day.
ReplyDeleteI am introverted too! I involve myself in social situations for Briana's sake, but if I had my choice, most of the time I would just stay home! When I decided to adopt, I made a decision to come out of my shell and meet new people, but it doesn't come easy to me. It's work! I like spending time with all the friends I made on this journey, but I have no problem just being by myself.
ReplyDeleteI am an introvert, husband is the total opposite.
ReplyDeleteI find it funny that we sometimes end up with our total opposites. ;)
Accepting yourself as you truly are is very important to healthy self-love. Well-written post. A good refresher on how we don't all work the same way.
ReplyDeleteAnother introvert here. It's exhausting trying to think of things to say over the phone...and making small talk - I'd rather stick an ice pick through my eye.
ReplyDeleteShawn is the extrovert in our relationship and I'm the introvert. It's taken me a long time to be able to put myself out there meeting new people, it still doesn't always feel natural to me.
ReplyDeleteIt's kinda funny that many introverts seem to channel their energy through their blogs.
I forgot that I gave you that article. It is quite liberating isn't it?
ReplyDeleteOMW....I can relate to several of these situations and feelings.
ReplyDeleteSending you a hug....don't want to step inside the box! lol
Wow, thanks for all of that info! I didn't know all the in's and out's of introverts - and I would say that I am one, although I fight it. I now understand myself a bit better...I detest small talk and LOVE LOVE LOVE my alone time. I am so happy for emails - now I hardly ever have to "chat" on the phone.
ReplyDeleteAnd, my husband is a TOTAL extrovert as well. Opposites certainly do attract.
people always ask me if I'm in a bad mood
ReplyDeleteor tell me to smile
I guess I look pissy all the time
I dunno.
I gets on my nerves though
I'm with SA... always pissy.
ReplyDeleteI put on good face, but I better have a drink in hand, and when it's empty, your time is up.
I am a complete introvert.
Thanks for the VERY BEST description I have read to date.
Maybe I'll give a copy to huz, so he can not read it.
I'm an introvert too and it did help to understand more about it. Introverts are awesome, I think. Hubs and I both are, but I think Snowflake may be extroverted. I hope we'll be able to keep her properly socially stimulated without losing our minds!
ReplyDeleteYep, that's me!
ReplyDeleteMy husband, however, is an extrovert. Such the social butterfly is he.
LOVE that post. I'm an inny too and some people don't believe that based on my personality. Yet, it is true, being an inny does not mean one is shy.
ReplyDeleteAn email hug to ya, my fellow inny.
I'm an extroverted introvert. Strange but true. I can do the social butterfly thing very well BUT not for long and need my solitude. Shawn is an introvert to the letter. I am dreading going out today with friends as Sat. is my day home alone...
ReplyDelete