
Apparently, one of my grade 12 students decided to make a great impression in this new school year by skipping his second period class today (mine). Sigh...it was sad when I had to call his mom at work to tell her. Sadder still when I felt her shame through the phone.
Tomorrow, at 7:45 a.m. when little Skippy is sitting in my detention room sharpening the box of 250 crayons I received today, I suspect that the sadness will reach a new height. Refresh my memory, do 17 year olds enjoy waking up extra early? If it happens again, I'm afraid we'll have to move the detention to 6:45 a.m.
**P.S.**
The humidity reading in my p*ortable today was 84%. The H*ealth and Sa*fety of*ficers said that there was so much moisture in there that it may as well have been raining inside. The entire floor has to be ripped out and reinstalled and all of the insulation must be replaced with new v*apor b*arriers. Looks like we'll be parked in the library for some time.
Onward....
Two of our portables have had a similar issue in the past. I don't know what it is about that type of construction that leads to that problem, but it's very common. Mine never did, though.
ReplyDeleteIf I were the teacher having to do a 6:45 am detention, I'd be really sad. So, I hope Skippy doesn't make you do that!
Joannah,
ReplyDeleteI would also be sad, but I would do it just to spite him. How horrible am I?? ;)
When I was in grade 9 I had a friend who used to skip classes... She did it quite a few times and the school put her on the 'blue form' and it had to be signed by all her teachers as proof that she was in class. It worked for a while...until I...err, I mean she, learned how to forge their signatures.
ReplyDeleteDon't hate me too much... ;)
Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteOh I love that you are slightly evil...
ReplyDeleteSometimes punishment hurts us too...that is early!
ReplyDeleteI skipped one class in High school. I skipped it and went to the next class. The teacher from the class I skipped had to sub the class I went to. BUSTED! Needless to say I did not do that again. Ask Dan about how many classes he skipped!
Keep smilin!
I wasn't even smart enough to figure out that I could skip class until I was out of school ;-(
ReplyDeleteK2
ReplyDeleteWay to go girl. No one, especially 17 year olds,like to get up that early. I think you have it figured out.
Love
Dad
In the first week? Argh.
ReplyDeleteFunny "skipping" story: One of our eighth grade teachers was going over school rules with her class and she told them they would get automatic in school suspension for skipping (her class). They look mystified and asked, "Really? For skipping?" The teacher couldn't understand why they were so shocked until she realized they thought she meant SKIPPING as in not walking, but skipping along! She said "ditching class" and all was understood.
Detention before school? Wow...we always had to stay after.
ReplyDeleteMy Jr High BFF broke her leg and was on crutches in 7th grade. I got to be her helper and carry books between classes. Needless to say we took mucho advantage of that...we were always at least 15 minutes late to the next one. LOL!
and it begins ...
ReplyDeleteOh my! I guess there is no easing yourself into grade 12...go get 'em girl! Show Skippy who's boss!
ReplyDeleteSkipping on the first week of school? I always waited at least until the 3rd week.....:-)
ReplyDeleteYou look really different in that picture. DId you do something with your hair?
Heh! Gotta love a teacher who's a 'morning person!' Regardless of what your kidlets have to do for detention, once they realize you assign them bright and early in the AM the word will be out I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your portable. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the beautiful sun today.
I can tell you that my 15 year old would be miserable having to wake up early.
ReplyDeleteEarly morning detention would definitely be a good punishment.
Luvvv it...
ReplyDeleteNo teenager loves to wake with the roosters, your awesome!!
Hope the little cutie learns not to mess with you, I do feel for his Mom(sigh).
Sounds like your portable is just like the rainforest.
I like your style. I may have to use that with some of my students.
ReplyDeleteThat's horrid about your portable. I hope you won't be a traveling circus ... er I mean a traveling band for too long.
You go girl! I bet Skippy doesn't skip-out again any time soon!
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the classroom...hope they get it fixed for ya soon!
Sounds like a great idea
ReplyDeleteto me!
Wow, the year hasn't even got off the ground and it sounds like a kick in the bum to me!
ReplyDeleteIt has to get better...yes, I am convincing myself for you.
Oh K, that's WAY too hot. Poor you and students. Don't they have A/C??
ReplyDeleteI think it's pretty hilarious that he skipped his second day of class! He's got a short attention span that's for sure. Well, the school year is off to a great start!
ReplyDeleteOooooh -- you're good!
ReplyDeleteBe firm. This coming from someone who was a regular skipper!
ReplyDeleteyou are one feisty teacher....I love it!
ReplyDelete