
So, I spent the better part of the weekend hunched over in some sort of weird science-fiction-like stupor with pains radiating from my tummy. It began on Saturday afternoon while K2 and I were walking in our local mall. I felt the first pangs of pain, but decided that as soon as I was home I would be fine. And I was...until K2 left for a party that we were both scheduled to attend. I assured him that I was fine and that he should go without me. Reluctantly, he decided to go, but said that he would be back in an hour and a half. No sooner did he leave, did my tummy decide to attack me with all the ferocity of a trapped monkey with a serrated knife. Yes, it was THAT bad. I tried laying on my side, on my back, on the floor, with feet up, on my belly, on my belly with feet outstretched to the side, cocooned tightly in a blanket, spread eagle on the carpet, but nothing worked. I knew I needed some help, but did not want to call K2 at the party. I did not want to be *that* wife who called her husband and demanded he come home in front of his friends. So, I called my parents who gave me swift instructions on what to do for myself. I made it to the medicine cabinet where I quickly downed one of K2's old Prevacids and hoped that he would be home soon. When the Prevacid didn't work, I started to sweat. Finally, K2 arrived and gave me a heating pad and a belly rub. I fell asleep soon after.
On Sunday, I did not have the pains I had the evening before, but I still felt kind of yucky. I was too afraid to eat or drink, so I just hunkered down with a blanket and rested.
Monday, I felt fine. No pain, no malaise, so off to work I went. I had a crappy day at work and came home stressed beyond stressed. I decided to try to eat dinner that night. I had a veggie patty and some peanut butter on a rice cake. At 9:00 those terrible pains came back and this time, they weren't taking any prisoners. The waves of pain mixed with nausea lasted until 2:00 a.m. when K2 decided it was time to head to emergency. As soon as we arrived and they saw my blood pressure, they hooked me up to an IV with saline and gave me a "Pink Lady" with a topical anaesthetic for the pain in my belly. It didn't work. They gave me a dose of an anti-spasmodic through the IV, but that didn't work. Finally, the clouds parted and I saw the light. It was warm, it called to me and sang my name. "Come to me, K1...I will take good care of you", it sang.
Nurse Wonderful decided that she wasn't going to watch me writhe around on the bed any longer and gave me a dose of something that I have never experienced before.
Diagnosis: None. I have to have an abdominal X-Ray and abdominal ultrasound on Saturday to see whether it is an ulcer or gallstones. Yay.
I am off work for the week and trying to get my tummy back in order. What I would give just to have a little bit of normal back in my life.
I have been neglecting my friends in blog-land, but I hope to get back to browsing blogs soon.
I will leave you with a picture of my IV site wound. Nurse Wonderful had to slap my hand silly in order to get my veins to pop up. Now, I have quite a bruise. I have to say that the nurses and doctors took such wonderful care of K2 and I in emergency. We could not have asked for better care. Really.
Oh no! I sure hope you feel better soon. Get some rest...
ReplyDeleteSandra
http://jazzieandtahlia.typepad.com
Goodness! I hope your feeling better soon,
ReplyDeleteI wonder if something is going around..... one of my friends just went through almost EXACTLY the same thing a few weeks ago and got EXACTLY the same diagnosis -- nothing!
ReplyDeleteVery strange....
Poor K1!!
ReplyDeleteDrugs are good. Take care and take it easy.
Keep smilin!
Mmmm - d*emerol!! I had a bunch of that after some surgery...Good stuff!
ReplyDeleteI hope all is o.k. with you and let us know the results of the tests!
Enjoy your resting time this week.
ReplyDeleteSorry you had to go through that.
Take care!
Trapped monkey with a serrated knife.
ReplyDeleteThat's probably the best analogy of pain I've ever read!
Hope you are feeling better.
Holy moly! I hope you can get some answers soon. You poor thing. Take as much as time as you need. Your health is too important.
ReplyDeleteLisa
I became acquainted with the Big D a few years ago when I had kidney stones. What a trip! Just moments before I'd been writhing in pain, and then everything was just lovely. Ah...
ReplyDeleteYou take it easy! I hope this turns out to be a fluke and that you are not stricken again with pain.
((hugs))
Wow! You've had a rough week K1! Glad the pain has subsided and that you're able to spend a week at home resting and taking care of you!
ReplyDeleteLove ya friend. Sending big hugs.
K1! What on earth is going on? I'm worried about you! I'm glad you're feeling better, but that attack is NOT a good thing!I hope it doesn't come back! (Plus, I don't think your veins are very cooperative, so you won't want more IV's......:-))
ReplyDeleteSounds terrible. Pain sucks. I guess I'm weird tho, cuz I hate those pain meds. I had to demerol a few years ago after some surgery. It just made me nauseous and wasted. I didn't like it.
ReplyDeleteAwwww honey! I hope they can get to the bottom of this! Good thinking on the nurse's part...I love D...even if the pain isn't completely gone, you just don't care.
ReplyDeleteMake sure you hide the serrated kitchen knives and don't open the door for any monkeys this week!!!
Take care!
Ouch, Gastritis maybe?
ReplyDeleteI had this once, then it turned into an ulcer. Love the monkey.knife analogy. Very clever and true.
Hope you feel better.
On a diet of tea and jello and rice now?
Nice bruise! :) I hope you are feeling better soon!! Hopefully it is nothing serious.
ReplyDelete...and thanks for what you said on my site! :)
Take your time off and get better.
ReplyDeleteoh no! hope you are feeling better soon!
ReplyDeletefeel better babe
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better soon...and that they find a diagnosis!
ReplyDeleteIck, feel better fast!
ReplyDeleteOh, K1, I'm sooo sorry. I was really hoping that this week was going to be a better one for you!
ReplyDeleteOuch!
I hope you are feeling better today and that you get some answers this weekend. My sister was suffering with severe stomache pains last week and the doc gave her some antibiotics that would heal a multitude of infections...now she's all better. Hope yours is a quick fix too.
Tomorrow's Friday, babe!
Get better soon. That reminds me I better go take my blood pressure medicine.
ReplyDeleteOh no! Hope you feel better soon. Sounds aweful!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my word, I hope isn't some type of a kidney stone or something. Love your photo showing us your battle scars. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry , you have had a terrible few weeks, things are going to get better.
ReplyDeleteLook after yourself, hope your Mom is feeling much improved too.
((hugs))
You're right, never a dull moment.
ReplyDeleteI am so behind on the eight ball!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you are on the mend!