I was watching a movie the other day and one of the characters said, "You don't go telling private family stuff to strangers." and it struck me that, though this blog merely recounts maybe 25% of our lives, there is a need for privacy for our children as they grow.
Over the years, this community has supported us through many ups and downs and we have so much gratitude for all of the comments, emails and words of encouragement along the way. It has meant a great deal to us. I remember reading over all of the comments when we announced that we were expecting Chick and Pea. So much love and warmth in every thoughtful word.
Blogging also led us to the incredible friendships we now share with some very important people. These friends, whom we call family, are invaluable to us and we are so thankful to have them in our lives. Had we not started blogging, we would never have met. Now, I can't imagine my life without them.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this blog and our family in the last little while and I have concluded that its time to lock the doors and call it a day. Nothing negative has happened, no anonymous comments have made me rethink anything, and no one has made me feel anything other than welcome here in blog land, but the public consumption of our family's life is not sitting well with Joel and me any longer. There are 500+ page views a day here and we don't know who is reading and for what purpose or agenda.
So, with six years of blogging publicly under my belt (one over at Building A Ladder) I have decided to lock this blog down and say goodbye within a short period of time. I'm not certain if I'll ever be back in a public forum again, but I'm certainly not saying "never". I will continue to write privately for myself and to continue the twins' life story for them, but it will be for them alone. It just makes sense for where we are right now.
Thank you, ever so much, for following along, for providing thoughtful comments and for encouraging us on our journey.