Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Caring Enough To Be Involved

I spent the first 10+ years of my teaching career in the intermediate grades and primarily with grade eight students. Every Monday morning, we would spent quite a bit of time chatting about our weekends - what we did, who we spent time with, and anything interesting that happened along the way. It was a great opportunity for me to foster a relationship with the students, as I told them about my weekends as well. It was a great way to begin our weeks together.

On this one particular Monday, one of the students (a fairly popular kid notorious for his freedom - we'll call him K.) talked about a party he attended on Friday night. The ears of the other students in the class practically bent toward him as though his words were magnetic. Clearly, the other students were envious. This kid had no curfew, his parents were okay with him being around older kids they didn't know, and he was given money every day so that he could go to the plaza and buy whatever lunch he wished. Ensued was a discussion (more of a complaint session) about who had the worst curfew/worst PIU - Parental Interference Unit, and who were so completely controlled by their parents that freedom was only to be experienced vicariously though others.

When the discussion wound down, I asked the kids to continue to write about their weekends in their journals. For the next 15 minutes, they wrote. That night, I pulled out all of the journals and finally came to K's journal. I will paraphrase what he wrote as I cannot remember everything he said word for word, but the gist of it was this:

I know the class is jealous of my life and the freedom I have. But I'm jealous of them. I wish I had parents who cared enough about me to give me a curfew. I wish I had parents who cared enough about me to know who my friends were. I wish my parents cared enough to take the time to make me a lunch every day instead of giving me cash to go to a pizza place every day. I wish my parents cared enough.

Kids ache for structure and limits.  They require it for health (both mental and physical health).  They want to know that there are expectations for them and they want to know that there a consequences for those times (and there will be times) when those limits have been stretched.  It is their job to push the limits and it is our job to empower them by keeping communication open and allowing them to test the waters with our guidance.  If they can't handle the push and their safety is at risk, then it is our job as parents to pull them back a little.  They will hate us for "interfering" in their social lives now, but they will thank us later. 

Know their friends, their friends' parents, know where they are and have them call you to let you know they are safe.  They will hate this.  But, in the backs of their minds, they will be aware that there are people thinking about them at all times and have an investment in their safety that no one else can possibly understand.

10 comments:

  1. It is always greener on the side of the fence. But K's words demonstrate that being a P.I.T.A. to our kids sometimes is truly better in the long run.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps K didn't realize that in allowing him the freedom that most teenagers crave at that age his parents actually did care about him. They were showing K that they trusted him to be responsible and cared enough to let him enjoy being a teenager without having to deal with "helicopter parents". If he mistook their allowances for indifference then he should have talked to them about it.

    I'm just exploring the other side of the coin. As doctor Phil likes to say, "No matter how flat you make a pancake, there are always two sides."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a difference between being a "Helicopter Parent" and being an apathetic one. Neither is good for kids. In this particular case, it was clear to me that his parents really didn't care who he was with. Yes, it's important to give kids freedom in order to gain responsibility, but doing so without knowing who the kids are with is irresponsible in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So important! RQ had a similar post up on her site yesterday. Not sure but it seems there might be a high profile situation happening in the US right now.

    Our kids need boundaries and love and these boundaries can be given in love. There are times (many!) when Hannah pushes the limit and I need to redirect her activity. During some of these interactions I can almost see a look of relief on her little face that all is right because I stopped her from doing something she knew she shouldn't do. It's almost like at times she does things just to feel the comfort and security this offers. Not sure if I'm explaining it well. I believe it helps her feel secure, and that's what I want her to know and feel. Loved and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - I want to be that house in the future that kids want to play at. I want to know who Hannah's friends are and I want them to know our home is a haven and fun place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me tear up. I feel so badly for that young man. Sometimes I just want to shake parents and yell, "WAKE UP! Look at the precious gift you have been given!" Oh, my heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my two kids were younger, we insisted on knowing where they were and who they were with at all times. (Thank goodness for cell phones!) We insisted on meeting their friends -- AND the parents -- before they could go play somewhere other than our house. I was shocked at the number of parents who would pull up in our driveway, drop their kids off for a playdate and drive away without ever meeting us!

    Our kids always hated that we were so "over bearing". Their friends would laugh at them because they "had to check in." (Sometimes with a picture message, just to make sure.)

    Guess what? It's paid off in spades! Now that my kids are teens (17 and 15), we are now that house that all the kids hang out at. We typically feed an extra 2 or 3 kids every week and on weekends there is always someone sleeping over. These are the same children whose parents never bothered to be involved in their lives.

    My children now understand why I enforced those expectations when they were younger. I'm proud to say they now check in without having to be asked.

    LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! Poor guy, K, and wise enough to know that something was amiss with the permissiveness his parents gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I WANT to hope that people do what they think is right for their child. Even if we don't think it is right.

    I hope it isn't that they don't care enough.

    Easy to judge from the outside, but I try not to do that. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes.

    K's parents is not that parent that I would choose to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was growing up, my mom was one of those parents that didn't want' us out of particular sight. Very, very, overprotective.

    While I do think my mom in particular wen ta bit overboard I do appreciate it as I know she kept us away from some situations that could have been really, really bad.

    Children do need structure and need to know their parents have their back. No matter what they need to know their parents want what's best for them.

    ReplyDelete