Sunday, November 6, 2011

Halloween 2011

In the weeks preceding Halloween, Chick and Pea wore their costumes (the same costumes they wore last year - because they still fit and because I hate shopping) over and over again.  Begging me, they would take my hand and lead me to where the costumes were hanging and then in sugary sweet voices ask me to put them on for them.  They were so super-excited for Halloween to arrive and were so well-versed in the whole "Trick or Treat"  mantra that when I took Pea to get his haircut, they greeted the stylist at the door with it.
Let me first say this:  Halloween is not an Introvert-Friendly occasion.  While I looked forward to the evening for the kids, I was half-dreading having to come face to face with so many people. Okay, I was fully dreading it.  I made some mistakes, too, that made the evening a little more precarious.

1.  I fed my kids spaghetti for dinner.  There are a couple of problems with this scenario.  My children are two years old.  Spaghetti + twin two year old children = FOREVER to finish eating.  We were supposed to be at my parents' house for 6:00pm and I didn't want to be late.  Also, I didn't want to be in our house when neighbourhood kids began Trick or Treating.
I watched the twins play with their "snakes" with my jaw clenched trying to remember that the evening is a "journey and not a destination".  Each time the little vein popped out on my forehead, J. would top up my wine glass.  He's a good man. When Chick began stringing her spaghetti through her hair, I had my first dizzy spell.  Which leads to the second problem with making spaghetti for dinner: the mess.  Cleaning up spaghetti strands out of kids' noses, hair and belly buttons takes time.  Thankfully, J. took on the clean-up while I loaded up the car with costumes and other accoutrements for the evening.

2.  Joel had the task of bringing the kids to the various neighbours' doors while I stayed on the sidewalk with the camera.  This way, I envisioned, I could escape having to chat up the neighbours at the doors.  Sadly, what I didn't envision was that other parents would be waiting on the sidewalk as well.  My awkwardness in social situations is sub par at best, but in the midst of anxiety-inducing darkness, zombies everywhere, and strange music beating out of the backs of trucks in pumpkin lit driveways, my awkwardness was amplified.

3.  Is there a freaking trick or treat bag that isn't booby trapped? Last year, we gave the kids a little bowl-shaped basket type deal that we thought was perfect.  Except, with mittens on and big costumed clad arms, the kids' covered the opening every time they held it out for their treats to be plopped in.  This year, the only alternative I could find (aside from pillow cases) were reusable bags that were taller than the kids.  Do you think the kids could open them?  It took twice as long as we thought to get through the houses on the streets because the kids couldn't open their bags, the neighbours had to awkwardly slide the candy into the bags then look at us with disapproving smirks. Like, 'If your kids can't even open their bags, stay home," smirks.

4. We brought the kids to their grandparents' neighbourhood to Trick or Treat.  My parents think that the sun rises and sets with the twins.  They love them to death and would do anything for them.  Anything including plying them with gobs of sugary treats in the late evening before sending them home with us.  Chick and Pea now think Gramma and Grampa are drug lords of candy.  Since Halloween, when we say we are going to visit, Chick and Pea's eyes glaze over, their little hands begin to shake and they chant, "Gramma, Grampa Halloween Trick or Treat! Gramma Grampa, Halloween Trick or Treat!".  I swear I think my dad keeps handfuls of smarties in his pockets and slips the kids a few every few minutes while we are there.

And now, some pictures.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Since Halloween, life has been busier than ever.  I'm not sure if it's just been a busier week, or if life is taking a turn in that general direction.  I suspect the latter.  I have much about which to write, but by the time the kids are asleep for the night, I'm back to sitting and staring.

8 comments:

  1. How is it that we can take command of a classroom full of students with ease, yet to talk to real people is worse than sitting in a dentist chair?? I am the same introvert with people I don't know.

    Chick and Pea are adorable in their costumes!! Spaghetti with one toddler is messy. I can't imagine times two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you misspell "you're" in that paragraph just to piss me off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what you're talking about, T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually find it easier to interact with people with my twins -- automatic topics, plus Burrito is always on the run and I can never stay and talk for literally more than 20 seconds without having to chase him. Instant, guiltless out.

    Hmm, what if you used a bigger basket with a huge opening (like an Easter basket, but not in Easter colors of course)? Or if the original basket had a longer handle, their mittens would be out of the way. We didn't have to deal with that this year, but they'll finally get it next year so it would be good to have a solution in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think it's weird that you are such an introvert. Because in typing, you are really outgoing. ;-) Seriously, I'm glad I got to know you this way, then, because otherwise it might not have happened! And when I one day come to that area, I am going to meet you. Whether you will hate me or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Halloween Twins!!

    My stepmom plies Miss D with Lindt chocolate balls. Upon arriving at their house, she leads my stepmom to where they are and "demands" treats. Grandparents think it is hysterical...me...not so much!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a grandparents prerogative to ply their grandchildren with candy. My mom use to give my nephew chips for breakfast because he asked for them.

    Chick and Pea look adorable as ever in their costumes :).

    ReplyDelete