Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Car Coming!

Like many other parents, we model the behavior that is expected of the kids.  Our modeling sometimes involves dolls, teddy bears and our very own Bear.  We use dolls in the bathtub to show the kids how to wash and rinse We've used teddy bears to demonstrate how to sit properly in chairs, how to slide down slides, and how to climb and descend stairs. We've used Bear to teach "gentle" touches and hugs.

Today, as the kids and I came home from the library, I saw a seagull standing in the middle of our street. I used the opportunity to teach the twins about road safety.  Currently, we either carry them across the street or they hold our hands.  They know that the boundary in our driveway is the sidewalk and not to cross it to the apron and, subsequently, the road. Still, it's always a good idea to reinforce the behaviors we wish to see from our children and the seagull provided the perfect opportunity.

This conversation happened during dinner (at least seven hours after our modeling lesson from the morning).  They remembered what they learned and made me laugh out loud in the process.

I love that, despite the silliness between Chick and me, Pea was still focused on the safety of the bird.


Car Coming! from Two Kayaks on Vimeo.

8 comments:

  1. I love them and I love how you are mothering them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.M.A.O.

    I love how Chick has moved on to laughing at you and Pea is there in the background still going on about the "car coming!"

    I'm still laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful video and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Mr. Pea is still concerned about the bird, danger and car and Miss Chick is giggling with Mommy. I love to see their beautiful different personalities show themselves! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too funny! Pea is Mr Safety and Miss Chick is yucking it up!!!

    Thanks for sharing your tips!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete