Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breath Holding Spells

A couple of months ago, Pea got hurt while playing with a toy. No biggie. The kiddos hurt themselves often throughout the week as they are adventurous and playful. Usually, after a brief cry and some cuddling, each is okay to go on about their playing. However, this time when Pea hurt himself, we saw him do the silent scream (you know, the one where you wait for the BIG scream to come when they finally take a breath). Only, a breath never came. Instead, he lost consciousness. It happened two more times before we finally decided he needed to be seen. Of course, all sorts of scary things ran through our minds: epilepsy, ASD, a brain tumor, etc. Scary stuff for any parent. Thankfully, none of these is affecting Pea.

He was diagnosed with Breath Holding Spells.
Breath-holding spells are brief periods when young children stop breathing for up to 1 minute. These spells often cause a child to pass out (lose consciousness). Breath-holding spells usually occur when a young child is angry, frustrated, in pain, or afraid. But the spell is a reflex. It's usually not a deliberate behavior on the child's part. WebMD
I can say with every certainty that Pea's Breath Holding Spells are completely involuntary and, at 14 months old, I can only imagine how scary it must be for him. Poor little guy.

Although we were told that he will eventually "grow out of" these spells (whatever that means) the researcher in me couldn't help but spend too much time online reading stories of parents whose children died as a result of BHS. Apparently, there is a type of BHS that is made more complicated by vagus nerve problems. In all of my research, I wasn't able to find a method of diagnosing this particular type of BHS, but when we see Pea's pediatrician in a couple of weeks, we will be asking more questions.

On a bright note, it has only happened three times in the last couple of months and we may, in fact, never see him have a BHS again.  If we do, at least we will know what it is and how to handle it.  I just wish we could explain it to Pea.
Photobucket
Pea looking adorable as usual.


12 comments:

  1. Oh my that's scary! I'm glad so glad it's happening less and less lately. Let's hope it never happens again.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks like such a big boy in that photo!

    Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off - I can't believe how 'grown up' he looks in that picture! He is losing his baby face.

    Secondly - HUGS! It is incredibly scary as a parent and you KNOW what is happening. I too feel for Pea when he doesn't know what is happening.

    I hope he 'grows out of them' soon rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I'm a lurker. I read your blog all the time and never comment. However, when my kids were little (they are teens now) they, too, used to hold their breath. We would quickly get in front of them and gently blow in their face. Not enough to knock them over, just a quick puff of air to the face. That always seemed to startle them into catching their breath by gasping the air that has been forced into their face. Don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd offer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speechless. You are an amazing Mother I think I might pass out from fright.
    Hoping he doesn't have to endure that again...for all of your sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy! I too hope that this soon passes for him. I can't even begin to imagine how scary it is for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry this is happening. max did this for about 6 mos at about the same age and it scared the crap out of me. i talked to my pedi and he said startle him out of it.. which is what i did the next time and it worked... clapped loudly and said his name. i also got into the habit of saying 'breath, breath' to him very gently when he had a fall or got upset and it definitely helped. i still do that now and he seems to calm easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about this. Poor Pea. For the record, I think you are awesome and amazing and so is Pea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim is right, blow in his face. When I was younger I worked in the toddler room of a preschool and this really does work. Just a big puff right into his face does the trick. It startles them and helps them to take a breath in again. I can't tell you how many kids we used this with and it worked every time. Good luck!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is scary I am sure. I hope the suggestions that others have left here help.

    I second T...he is getting to be so big!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear! DH had that as a little one, and people still bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How scary!! I hope he grows out of it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete