Monday, April 12, 2010

Signing

We have been signing with the babies for a few months now and, although they have not signed back to us, they are fully aware of what some of the hand signs mean. So far, they know:

Cat
Milk
Cookie
Cereal
More


We are working on:
Mom
Dad
Gramma
Grampa
Water
Please
Thank You
Diaper
Banana


We have the DVD Signing Time and the babies are starting to watch it with interest. We have also signed up for signing class through our local Ontario Early Years chapter and will attend class on Tuesdays with Catherine and Hannah. We know that this will encourage the babies' language development and will reduce frustration relevant to communication.  It's all very exciting to a language nut like me!

9 comments:

  1. You know that I think this is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC!!! I totally agree that it will help their language development AND reduce their frustration when they are in the 'in between' when they know what they want, but don't have the verbal ability to ask for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The class is going to be such fun together! Hannah's communication skills have exploded in the past couple of weeks and it's been so neat to see her change from mimicing signs back to truly communicating to me what she wants!

    Now....to just figure out each time what she want's 'more' of! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister does baby sign...it's very cool. Her baby can say all done, more, um...and a few others...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used those dvd's with Ava too! They were great, and really helped with her communication especially prior to her surgeries.
    I lent mine to Catherine, so I'm sure Hannah is enjoying them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hello there mama! I think you already know this but if not... I signed with Georgia from the time she was 3 months old and we showed her the BABY Signing Time DVD's (got them on Amazon) as well. I signed every word I could teach myself. By the time she was 12-14 months old she had a signing vocabulary of btwn 40-50 words, and signed so much her daycare providers would ask me daily what certain things meant. She still uses quite a few signs, but as soon as she started talking, she would drop the sign for whatever word she learned... makes me miss her little hands flailing about :( I initially signed with her because I knew it would help ME to understand her and communicate with her... I never expected it to help with so many other things and help her put a three word sentence together at 9 months old. Kudos to you! Be sure to get them signing on video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun.. I can't wait to start this.
    Thanks for the kind words on my blog.
    You are amazing.
    Hugs..
    Have a great week..

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are also signing with D. Or at least trying. I think we might have to try those DVD's...wondering if our signs are getting thru.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool.

    Thank you for the reminder. Jess and I have been trying off and on to learn some signs over the last four years. Guess it is time to pull out the books and videos again.

    ReplyDelete