Tuesday, November 3, 2009

When Books Attack

We can't get enough children's books into the house. We love them and want our kids to be avid readers. K2 built an awesome bookshelf a few years back and we have worked to stack it with some fun books for the babies.

Thinking that it's never too early to introduce books to little ones, we have been reading to the babies after almost every feeding.  It passes the time while we are letting their milk settle and it stimulates them for playtime.


Their two favorite books so far are:




They simply adore the pictures and the sounds we make as we read.  However, yesterday as I was reading "Can You Moo, Too", Chick tried to touch the page and ended up getting a paper cut.  This was the first time I have ever heard her do the no breathing cry.  You know the one...where her face contorts in a burst of red, but no sound comes out for like ten seconds.  I just sat there and watched while waiting for the scream to erupt and when it did, it put her brother's colic cries to shame.  After a little rocking and holding her close, she was fine, but man was it sad!  Look at her first little paper cut...sad.


I caught her online yesterday ordering a Kindle.  I don't think baby books are available on it just yet.


11 comments:

  1. Hello! Love that you are already reading to your darling babies. You just have to check out "I Kissed the Baby" by Mary Murphy. The mostly black and white large images are very eye catching to little ones and a simple text that ends with a big smooch for baby.
    http://www.amazon.com/I-Kissed-Baby-Mary-Murphy/dp/0763621226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257275189&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a huge library too. Memo...keep it at least a baby's arm length away!

    Never too early, I agree!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW!!!! Poor little sweetie! I hope it heals soon.

    Oh, and my littles always LOVED Sandra Boyton books. With a passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Chick! Paper cuts are NEVER nice!!

    Loving that you are reading to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, poor chick.

    Nothing like starting them early with the online shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, ouch! That would make me scream and cry, too. Now you'll know the origin of her dislike of books, should it ever come to that. I had a bad bathing experience as a newborn in the hospital (mean nurse according to my grandparents), and I didn't like to have my hair washed until I was 12. LOL! Save up for therapy now.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They seem to multiply and get displaced throughout the house over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW... hat bookshelf is the bomb. Sorry about the papercut- those suck! My girl got one yesterday during her school eval, ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books lovers are great people.

    And I hope that cut got Chick her very first band aid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am a book fanatic! I have so many I don't know what to do with them all...can you send the hubby this way to make us one of those kick@#&* bookcases?

    ReplyDelete