Friday, November 6, 2009

An Interesting Turn Of Events

A few weeks ago we brought Pea to the Fracture Clinic in Toronto to assess the state of his hips.  At that time the doctor wanted to do two things:  bring Pea back in three weeks to reassess and to bring his sister as well because girls typically have a higher incidence of congenital hip dysplasia than boys and the risk is especially higher in multiples.
On Wednesday, we brought both babies back to the clinic for follow up ultrasounds and today we received the results.  It turns out that Pea's hips are perfectly normal and have corrected themselves.  How thrilling!  No need for him to be evaluated again.  However, Chick's ultrasound showed an abnormality that needed attention.  Her hip isn't horrible, but the joint is shallow and needs to be treated.  So our girl will have to wear a Pavlik Harness for 12 hours a day every day for at least four months. We feel SO lucky because most babies have to wear it for 23 hours a day every day.

Image courtesy of Google Images
We will put it on at 8:00pm every night and take it off at 8:00am every morning with the hope that this will prevent painful arthritis or the need for hip replacement later in life.
As we were driving out of Toronto today, K2 and I were talking about how lucky we are. Sure, Chick has to wear this medieval looking device for the next four months, but it could be so much worse.  We thought of all the parents at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto receiving diagnoses of Cystic Fibrosis, Leukemia, or other horrific scenarios.  I can't imagine having to face something like that.

A harness and some discomfort we can handle.


Our Chick...asleep in her crib.  It's been a long day.

11 comments:

  1. SO glad that Pea is ok!

    At least it's only a few months that Chick has to wear hers. I hope the time passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this is a "good" thing but my poor little Chick! It is for her health and it is not serious. Find the positive!

    Smooches to the wonder twins!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. Things could be SO much worse. I am so glad you can have such a good attitude about it all.

    Chick sure looks cute in her crib ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Chick! Hopefully she will adapt to it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is EXACTLY how I feel about this stomach but we are dealing with right now. Yes, it's a pain, and yes, I am sick to death of it. But honestly, how could I not be thankful that it is SO minor? All of my kids are healthy (thank the Lord) and the flu is just a minor blip. I can't IMAGINE what those who have sick children go through. I think of my worry when my child has a fever. It is a never ending stress. And then I imagine having a child with cancer. My heart breaks with the thought of it. Thank you, Lord for healthy children. Nothing could be more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Chick for having to wear it but it is great that it was caught early, the treatment is pretty mild considering, and she won't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so nervous about the immobilizers we are going to be facing with M-n-M. She already is limited and we'll be limiting her even more, and how do you manage diaper changes and toileting with a kiddo in a spica or something similar after an open reduction of a hip dislocation?

    At any rate, glad your little girl doesn't have anything more serious to face and that this is correctable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that Pea's issue resolved itself! Sorry that Chick needs the harness, but at least she won't remember it - good idea to do it while she's sleeping!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Pea is okay but poor Chick! At least it's now while she's still immobile and not all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, that's funky. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete