Friday, September 4, 2009

First Trip To Emergency

 
K2 and I always brace ourselves for the middle of the night feedings.  Our babies are on a three hour schedule, so we are up with them for a minimum of one hour every three hours.  We have a great system, K2 and I do, and it seems to work for us.  When one twin wakes (and as long as it is at least three hours past the last feeding) K2 heads downstairs to warm up bottles made the previous night while I change the twin that is awake.  When K2 comes back upstairs, he feeds the changed twin, while I wake the sleeping one to change her or his diaper, then feed him or her.  Then, there's the burping, the swaddling and the soothing back to sleep.  When all is said and done, we all hope to be back in bed and snoozing an hour later.
Last night, our boy decided to terrify us with some breathing issues.  We noticed that he was a little raspy when we first put him down at about 11:00pm, but when 2:00am rolled around, he was gurgly, wet-sounding and he could barely take a breath in.  We tried everything to help his breathing, but nothing seemed to make it better.  Finally, we decided to bundle up both twins and head to urgent care as I was worried that his pneumonia had returned.  The doctor at urgent care listened to his lungs and was worried enough for him that she decided to call over to the hospital to speak with the pediatrician on call.  We were then instructed to head to the hospital where we would meet with the pediatrician.  
Of course, I started to cry because I was terrified that they would say that our boy would have to be admitted.  
After waiting for about an hour, the pediatrician finally arrived to assess our boy.  He didn't seem to think that the pneumonia had returned, but did say that there was some congestion and prescribed some saline drops for our boy's nose.  Sadly, our girl is now showing signs of the same congestion.  
It's so hard to see babies sick.  So hard.  They can't tell us how they are feeling and the only thing they can do is cry to show us their discomfort.  
All we want to do is to hunker down with our babies and make them comfortable and well.  I hope that this breathing issue clears up so that we can all get some rest. 

20 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry that your littles are not feeling well. they're so young and we feel so helpless. Praying they both feel better soon and all of you are able to get some much needed sleep.

    Oops...read this after I got home. Yah, ignore that phone call and we'll do it another time for sure! If you need me I'm here 24/7 but Blizzards can wait.

    love you. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo sorry.. hope all gets well soon..
    BIG HUGS..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear! I'm sure that was hard on everybody. I hope they bounce back quickly.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. we parents are already on ultra-alert, especially w/ infants, and when they're sick, the level of stress doubles. try to get some rest and let the laundry/dishes pile up. here's to everyone getting sleep and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are great parents . . . for so many reasons. You're doing such a great job - and I know it's not an easy job. I'm praying the little ones are both feeling better really soon so all four of you can get some better rest. Hang in there.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  6. how scary! thinking of you and your babies, I hope they are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! What a scare! I hope both babies get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K1, Neil was like that a lot as a baby and was hospitalized for pneumonia, bronchitis, AND RSV. He was not exactly a healthy baby and he had me in tears many times. Never feel bad about that!!!!!You are just worried about your poor, sweet son and it is terrifying to see them gasp for air. One trick I learned was to get them to cold air. Even opening your freezer and letting them breathe in the cold air (after bundling them first, of course) helps to open up the airways a bit. We would also take him outside in the winter, after carefully bundling him, and let him breathe the cool air. Also, the doctor suggested a cold air humidifier. Just some suggestions that we found helpful....:-)
    Praying for you all, and your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine how terrified you are/were. Sending healing thoughts to both your wee ones.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry your boy isn't feeling well and now girlie too. I hope they both heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes it so very tough to see them in pain and I can't imagine how it might feel when they are so tiny infants.
    I hope the congestion goes away fast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine how worried you are. I just hope that both of them will be totally healthy again really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the hardest things about being a parent is seeing our children suffer. I'm so sorry baby boy had such a rough time and that baby girl is now under the weather as well.

    You go ahead and hunker down. All will be well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scary!! I'm glad that he didn't have to be admitted -- feel better little ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear your babies are sick. Hoping they are on the mend quickly and things are back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear baby boy isn't feeling his best. Hope he recovers fast.
    Also hope baby girl decides to NOT follow in her brother's foot steps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must have been scary. I am so glad to hear that baby boy doesn't have pneumonia.

    Healing thoughts to all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would scare me too. I hope they are better. But good call to get them in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh darling babies, I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must be so hard and frustrating. They are stong little ones just like their Mom and Dad. Hugs to all of you.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete