Tuesday, January 27, 2009

They're Just Taller

Upon making the switch from elementary school to high school in the fall of 2007, many people asked me to describe the differences in experience.  For the most part, elementary teachers have to do much more with much less.  High school teachers work hard, but there is more time to prepare and to get one's bearings before classes begin.  At least, this is what I have observed in my particular board.  I, of course, don't speak for all teachers in all boards.

As for the kids, as daunting as their sizes and deep voices can seem, they are essentially just taller. Similar insecurities, similar senses of humor, similar thirsts for validation and acceptance and similar excuses for not completing work as their 13 year old counterparts.  Yes, 17 year olds are just taller. 

We began exams this week and this marks the end of one semester and the beginning of a brand new one on Monday.  I won't lie; I am thrilled to be rid of some of the students with whom I have shared a classroom since September and to welcome in 90 new ones come Monday.  Man, 90 new names to remember.  Yeesh.

Something that always surprises me about students (and isn't it a good thing that I am still being surprised by my sttudents after 13 years of teaching?) is the way some of them express their gratitude.  Not only the way in which they express it, but from whom the gratitude is coming.  Always a surprise. 

I was marking my first set of exams yesterday afternoon, when I came across this little note.  Now, the note is sweet and it certainly made my day, but it came from a girl who, although very popular and incredibly bright, likely said only a few sentences to me all semester and only when I forced her to speak to answer a question or to present information.  If you would have asked me to tell you what I thought she thought of me before the note, I would have said that she thought I was a hack.  Weird, huh?
 This second note revealed itself today while marking my second set of exams.  This note came from one of the students in my "open" class.  This is the class that is geared to students who typically reside just off school property smoking various substances and intimidating those who dare cross their territory.  Sure, the spelling and grammar is quite poor, but the gist is lovely.
 Lastly, one of the students in my class from today (the open class) completed his exam early and asked me if he could draw me a picture while he waited for the exam time to be over.  Reminder:  these are 17 year olds.  I gave him a piece of paper and told him that if it was nice enough, I would put it on my fridge.  This was the result.  I don't know what it all means, but it was a nice sentiment from a kid with a pretty shady reputation in our school.  I'll take it.
 
 

 I know that for each of these cute little bits of gratitude, there are a dozen (or more?) students who totally hated being in my class and who couldn't wait to get out.  I don't have a big head about it.  It's just nice to know that a few took something away that was meaningful. 

12 comments:

  1. What nice sentiments. You can't please all of the people all of the time but you obviously pleased some.

    Interesting he spelled Islam correctly and wrong, wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great teacher and it comes across to your students.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing like a note from a kid to brighten one's day!!

    Nice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before, if my child has a teacher that's half as dedicated as you, they'll be alright.

    Another testament to what a great teacher you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful gifts! Isn't it neat when the kids you're most surprised by are the ones you reach?

    I KNOW you'd be an amazing teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure what the picture means either, but they're all wonderful sentiments to a FANTASTIC teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think those are great. I love that you are recognized for the great teacher that you are by the people that matter the most....your students! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids aren't the only ones who crave validation. Those are awesome glimpses into the impact that you are having on the lucky few who have the honour of being in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's those spontaneous sentiments that make it so worthwhile...in any job.

    Hehehe...just taller. In truth, a number of elementary school students are taller than me ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is so cool K. every now and then i feel this pull and wish i'd gone into teaching... i drive by schools and think... coulda been me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do make a difference and it is so great that you got validation of that from these kids.

    ReplyDelete