Monday, January 5, 2009

Like a Phoenix

A friend of mine sent this piece of writing to me tonight and it took my breath away. I felt like it was written just for me. It will likely feel that way for some of you, too.

I do not define myself by how many roadblocks have appeared in my path.
I define myself by the courage I’ve found to forge new roads.
I do not define myself by how many disappointments I’ve faced.
I define myself by the forgiveness and the faith I have found to begin again.
I do not define myself by how long a relationship lasted.
I define myself by how much I have loved, and been willing to love again.
I do not define myself by how many times I have been knocked down.
I define myself by how many times I have struggled to my feet.
I am not my pain.
I am not my past.
I am that which has emerged from the fire.

For me, it's all about rising from the ashes. We are all like Phoenixes in that respect; that is, if we choose to rise.

23 comments:

  1. Dear K1
    We don't always agree but this time you are right on....... the author has captured you perfectly and it is for those reasons and many others that I love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I needed this reminder. I've often told myself that I am not my pain, I am not my past. Sometimes it is harder to believe that in others and lately those thoughts are something I have been lacking. I am not my fears. I am not doomed to repeat history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant that sometimes it is harder to believe that about myself than it has been at other times, and lately it's been difficult ;) Looks like I had a typo that was a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful and I agree that it describes you. I always think your dad says the sweetest things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad is the sweetest!

    What powerful words and they also speak to me.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well said. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that.
    I am not my pain.
    I am not my past.

    THAT should be our mantra for 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds good to me....I should have that tattooed behind my eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very deep. It definitely speaks to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing that, it's beautiful and a very empowering reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. Describes you to a tee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes it is so hard to see past the pain and disappointment. This is a beautiful poem that I intend to reread when my attitude needs adjustment. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely and so touching what your Dad told you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that.
    Beauty from ashes...

    ReplyDelete