Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Infant Loss and Miscarriage Remembrance Day



"How did you spend your weekend?" She asked, sidling up to her colleague in the quiet halls of a school set to explode with a thousand students.

"The beautiful weather made it almost impossible to stay indoors, so we spent a lot of time outside hiking in some of the conservation areas just outside of town." She replied, eyes focused on the pattern on the tiles running up the stairs as they walked in unison now.

"You single couples. Man, what I wouldn't give to have an ounce of the freedom you have without kids. You can sleep all you want, have all the free time you want and never have to worry about a babysitter."

She felt the electricity of her heart, the nerves sending impulses of grief, self-loathing, and humiliation through her entire being.

Picture-flashes of:

baby naming books

fertility charts

syringes

drugs

early morning drives for monitoring

the stress of making it back to work on time so no one would ask questions

ultrasounds by medics with cold hands

standing in line at the pharmacy buying tampons while the teenager ahead buys a carton of cigarettes

and stuffs them into the back of a stroller

explaining health history to a doctor seen for the third opinion

invasive paperwork and home study interviews

a savings account for an education fund gone to pay for services for infertility and subsequent adoption fees

a referral sometime in 2011

finally seeing a positive pregnancy test

twins

contractions and blood

loss

numbness

another pregnancy

elation

contractions and blood, so much blood

hoisting hips into the air to make it easier for the doctor to pull out fetal tissue

another heartbreaking loss


"Yes, life is good," she strained, as she ducked into her classroom just in time for the first tear to fall.

Never assume.

Tomorrow is Infant Loss and Miscarriage Remembrance Day. If you know someone who has suffered a loss, give them a hug.

31 comments:

  1. Wow. What a post. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words suffice...

    Hugs today and always...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put your right hand on your right shoulder and your left hand on your left shoulder, now squeeze...you've just been hugged by Ava and I.
    My heart hurts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that should have read put your right hand on your left shoulder and your left hand on your right shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me cry.

    My heart breaks for your losses.

    I hope that it gets to rejoice some day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brought a tear to my eye. There was never a truer sentence wrtitten.

    Never assume.

    Never, ever, assume.

    I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweetie! You're right, people should never assume. It's just terrible how comments hurt.

    I didn't realize tomorrow's significance. I'll be thinking of you as I remember our baby that we lost as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you both - big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((((HUGS)))) So sorry for your many losses.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrote about today on my blog too. I am definitely thinking of you and saying a little prayer. "Hugs"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you a HUGE hug. So sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a good post. EVERYONE should read this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. {{{{big squeeze}}}
    Miss you. Thinking of you.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs to you...with understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An awesome post....thanks, and as always, sending you hugs.

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't even imagine. Hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i can't stop crying and how much, how much i want to just take you to me right to me and just hold on & catch that first tear...

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you for posting this. I just wish people wouldnt make silly assumptions.

    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I how I hate ignorant comments like those... Hugs from me too and thank you for your kind words. I wish nothing but a miracle for you in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. What a reminder that things are often not what they seem. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still as beautiful and difficult to read today knowing how much hurt you have endured. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete