Dani*elle was born with Cy*stic Fib*rosis and lived a difficult, but normal life. She was an avid baseball player, had dreams of becoming an actress in the future and only wanted to be given the chance to grow and thrive. Last year, she received a double lu.ng tran.splant and hope embraced her family once again. This year, however, her new lungs were, once again, weakened by the disease and as she lay in a hospital bed awaiting another set of lungs, she weakened to such an extent that her little body just couldn't hold out. She died today at 3:30 p.m. A young life snatched from all of us. Unreal and so very sad.
Tomorrow, we will begin the task of listening and healing. Tomorrow a candle will burn in my classroom all day and my students and I will sit encircled; some will talk, others will simply listen and that's alright. Sometimes there are simply no words that can speak to the depths of grief. It's alright.
Please consider signing your organ donor cards. Dan*ielle died waiting for healthy lungs and it is beyond comprehensible that this young life has been snuffed out.
Too soon.
I'm sure you are wondering why I have mentioned her name. As an ambassador for Si*ck Ki*ds Hos*pital, she gave public interviews to newspapers and other organizations. Her story is out there. You can read more about her and even see a video of her here. What a beautiful life.
Oh boy. This IS very sad. i hate hearing about kids going too soon.
ReplyDeletewow, that is so sad.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry - so sad...
ReplyDeleteThis is very sad. My heart goes out to the family. I'm so sorry...
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. This disease is harsh. It has touched my family and I am so sorry that this family is dealing with this tremendous loss.
ReplyDeleteMy sympathies.
Sorry to read this.
ReplyDeleteWill be thinking about you and the kids tomorrow and for the coming days.
That IS a wonderful life. Another reminder to sign your donor cards, from a young woman whom it meant SO much to. Sigh. I'm sorry to hear this.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Praying for Danielle's family as they face this terrible loss of their precious little girl. Praying for you and your students too. ((hugs)) friend.
ReplyDeleteKi and K2
ReplyDeleteOne of my grade four teachers was blessed with four beautiful children. Unfortunately three of her four children also had Cystic Fibrosis and died while waiting for lung transplants. Please sign your organ donor card and perhaps a child someday could be spared death before his or her time.
K1, thanks for making all of us think about doing what is right.
Love
Dad
Gosh there's a lot of sad stuff out here in blogland today. My organ donor card is signed and in my wallet. Such a sad story. Her family will be in my prayers tonight.
ReplyDeleteDan*ielles family are in our prayers as well as you and your class.
ReplyDeleteIt's so very sad... I have no words... Prayers are going out for all.
ReplyDeleteSo tragic, I hope this beautiful spirit plays baseball now and never worries about losing her breath, she will always hit homeruns..
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful girl, her video was amazing, it reminds us to sign the donor card and make our wishes known to our family members.
Too sad. So hard, you will get lots of angry questions I am sure.
ReplyDeleteWow, K, I am so sorry. I watched the video, and there are just no words. Thinking of you and your students.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry- I can't imagine how hard this is.
ReplyDeleteI have been an organ donor since I got my DL. I hope others take your advice and do the same.
So sorry K1...a beautiful life indeed.
ReplyDeleteHow painful and sad for everyone involved. May she rest in peace, sweet angel.
ReplyDelete