Disappointment.
Apple came out today with a new MacBook, alright..but it is CHEAPER and less powerful than the one I wanted. Sigh.
If it is cheaper, why don't I just purchase this new one, you ask? Well, aside from it being less powerful, it has a teeny-tiny screen (13.3 inches) as opposed to the 15 inch MacBook Pro. The price is a measly couple hundred dollars less than the MacBook I crave and so it will not drive down the price. Double sigh.
On a wholly different note, I am scared for our future. Many of you know that I teach high school and spend my days with 80 or so seventeen and eighteen year olds. Most of them are lovely people and I think that we needn't worry too much about their intellect. What I am worried about is this culture of entitlement that is being created. Here I am pining over a MacBook that I could totally afford if I chose to, but instead I wait and wait for it to drop in price so that I can save as much as I can. We are a one car family because we are shopping far and wide to find a Yaris within the price range that we have decided will not put us in the poor house should we find one. We make sacrifices, hold out from buying things we could well afford because we know we don't 'need' to have all the fun toys. My students? They OWN all the toys. The kicker? Their parents buy these things for them! I have trouble finding a parking spot in the morning in between the students' 2007 cars bought for them by their parents. Our students wear uniforms, but when they arrive in the morning, they are separated by which girls have Uggs and which do not. Have you seen the price of Uggs???
We are moving toward a culture of kids who know little of what it means to earn something, to save for something and to wait and wait to own that for which they pine. Truly, they have no idea why anyone would want to wait to own something. The "I want it now" culture is in full swing. Of course, we also live in an era that, by the time a kid could finally save the money needed for whatever technological gadget they wanted, that technology would be obsolete. Fast times.
Sigh. Am I displacing my anger about my failed MacBook Pro dream onto my students?
Perhaps I am.
Sorry about the mini-Mac. I was cheering for you...obviously I need a tutorial on Mac's and all about them. Here's hoping something still works out for you.
ReplyDeleteI TOTALLY understand where you're coming from when you talk about your students and their toys. One of my piano students returned tonight and when I asked how her Christmas was she said...AWESOME!! I asked why and she said it was because she got a 8GB touch iPod AND a new laptop computer!!! She's 12 years old!!! What's up with that? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. Some kids don't know what it's like to go without some of their 'wants' and have everything. She's a sweet kid and I don't blame her but still...is it all necessary and are they any happier? I'm guessing no. What a shock it will be for them when they need to start buying things for themselves.
Saddened by stuff like this...and oh yah...a little jealous too!!
Here's hoping your MacBook Pro and Yaris become avialable in a good pricerange. You're wise friend...very wise!
You are so right about the sense of entitlement. If parents keep buying things for their kids, they'll never learn to appreciate them. It's a very sad situation.
ReplyDeleteI have to confess...I'm one of those "I want it now" people...always have been...don't know where I got it...my parents certainly aren't that way...they never have and never will buy anything on credit...except their first house which they put down 50% and are still in that same house. I am trying to change my ways...especially now that I have Ava to think about...but it is hard!
ReplyDeleteSorry Mac didn't release the news you were hoping for today.
Nope, you're right on w/the sense of entitlement. In my school district the high school girls carry Prada bags and that sort of thing, and yes, they drive BMW's. I have a 5 year old Ford Escape and can't compete, nor would I want to.
ReplyDeleteI often think parents give their kids cars so they don't have to deal with the kids as much and it pleases them. I never had any of that stuff. I was taught to save and save. Things aren't as worth it when you get them effortlessly. If you want to know what happens to those kids when they grow up, check out the credit problems, the subprime market, and the home foreclosures. Kids should have jobs and earn a portion of the cash for their expeditures. They should learn patience and desire that lasts longer than 5 minutes before being satisfied. They should learn about the good things in life that are free. But you can't blame the kids, they are enabled by their parents.
ReplyDeleteThe sense of entitlement is incredibly scary. Does it stem from parents being so busy that they buy stuff to appease their minds? Does that create it? How many kids today have jobs? I worked my arse off when I was a kid to make money. My parents did not just give it to me.
ReplyDeleteI am a deal finder and I will not buy even if it is a good deal. If you don't need it, it is not a deal.
Keep smilin!
I'm sorry there wasn't better news on the Apple front. That sucks. My husband teaches college and roughly 80 percent of his students are Freshman, so they are only slightly older than those you teach. He goes on and on about how they dress better than he does, have all the newest gadgets and drive far better cars than he(he drives a 1985 Chevy pickup!).The part that gets to him the most though, is that they have that same sense of entitlement when it comes to their grades. He will give a student a "C" on a poorly written paper, and they will come see him after class and tell him the grade wasn't fair and that they "worked so hard on that paper". It used to bother him a lot, but now he's learned to just roll with the punches. These parents are doing their children(and the rest of society)a huge disservice. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI remember delivering newspapers for TWO summers so that I could buy a bicycle that I wanted! I worked HARD for that bike and let me tell you - I ALWAYS locked it, I ALWAYS used the kickstand, I ALWAYS took care of it because I knew how much work was involved in earning the money to purchase it.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your Mac..
I hear you. We have instituted an allowance chart at our house. If she wants a frivelous toy or stuffed animal, she has to save her money for it. She has to do chores to earn the money. I keep very good track of everything. I'm hoping that she will learn to appreciate things a little more than her peers, but who knows? It truly is the age of entitlement, even for us. If I see a cute outfit that I want for her, I buy it. The. End. Its so easy to do. Its a trap!
ReplyDeleteWhat do Uggs cost? I always thought they were UGGly, so I never looked!
I agree that Uggs are UGGLY! I wouldn't wear them if they were free. I have promised myself that when I become a mom that our child will have to save part of any money they get as gifts and also put 10% into a jar for charity. I want to raise a kind, caring child and not a brat!
ReplyDeleteMichelle
Illinois
Oh girl.....you hit the nail right on the head. All of our kids have gone through that entitlement phase and it seems with the the "kids" now-a-days......it gets worse by the year. It's not pretty. Emmie is quite spoiled, I'm afraid. She has several pairs of Uggs.....(sorry) BUT......although she likes them, I guess am the one buying. We have been trying to tone it down with her. And she does use her own money as well. Hopefully I can will be different with Sophia and Daniel. ;) Thanks for this post though......it was good!
ReplyDeleteMan, I hear ya. We have a 19-year-old son who is that way and it frustrates me so much. He has a nice car, but is really struggling financially and is already in debt big time. It's so sad to me.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the MAC. I still havent figured out my MAC, therefore want to go back to my PC with Windows XP....sigh!!
ReplyDeleteI hear ya about the kids now-a-days!!! I was like that up until about 2 years ago....CHAMPAGNE TASTE!! Now I could careless what I have. Its just now my daughter who gets everything..LOL!! Being a single mama though, gives me limits so....it helps!!!
Hope your doing OK....I miss ya!!!
ugg.... I am alone in the fight against labels....
ReplyDeleteIt's my dying wish. To fight entitlement and marketing.
My two year olds already pay us "tax" out of the change they find lying around. Money is a hot topic here with the kids. When we're in the store (not that my kids ever realize I COULD buy them anything), I mock, "you can't afford that on your income"...gets some stares and chuckles from strangers.
We live a priveleged life but I'm not about to let my kids know that. Prison camp here.
I completely agree. Many kids think they DESERVE everything. They don't feel that they have to actually WORK for anything. People have actually expressed horror at the fact that we only gave each of our kids one present for Christmas. ONE! For shame! Are ya kidding me?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100%. I think we are very generous with our children, but they get what they need, not necessarily what they want. If they want something overpriced, that's fine, but they save up their own money. Zach is saving for his car. His father owns it, it is far from new but in good shape and Zach has to pay $3500 for it which is a lot when you are 15. But he wants it when he's 16, so his father said he needed a $1000 down payment. My children know how to work for what they want. We talk about credit ratings and saving money.
ReplyDeleteI think it's very important or they go out on their own, get a credit card and get themselves in huge trouble. The world isn't going to give them everything they want and if they don't know what to do to earn things, they will always struggle.
Can you tell I'm passionate about this??
Oh well..not meant to win on the Maccage. Yeah...a 13" screen? Not worth it.
ReplyDeleteI can relate very much to your concerns on 'entitlement' It is such a sad thing and, unfortunately, I don't live in the only pocket of it in the universe if so many can see how widespread this has become.
Um . . .oh my. How you function on a daily basis with kids that age is beyond me! You & K2 are saints!
ReplyDeleteAnd sorry about the computer, doll:( I was pulling for you!
And financially, I'm a wreck, so I have nothing valuable to offer to the conversation. My kids will have to learn about money the hard way . . .just keep making more!
It is the anticipation to the computer that killed the cat. Accept instead of expect. It makes the computer world better.
ReplyDeleteDamn kids.
Granted, I was looking for some high black uggs on ebay yesterday.. Damn me
You said it, kids feel they are intitled to everything these days, whose to blame, the parents??
ReplyDeleteI for one plan to teach my girls that they will not be handed everything they please, earning it will be expected.
My five year old gets an allowance, she helps Mommy set the table, make her bed and she is learning the value of a loonie.
We could buy her what they want, but I am sure they wouldn't be learning apprecaiation along with it.
My 2 cents..
This is a very real issue. Some kids are getting things much too easily and are in for a rude awakening someday. They aren't learning about the real world and they have no appreciation.
ReplyDeleteYep, and these same kids are having a field day with employers out here!!! Their work ethic leaves MUCH to be desired!!
ReplyDeleteWe started our work life during the 90's recession and with the economic news out there these days, some of those kids may be in for a rude awakening!!
We are of the "sacrifice" generation too. I can't imagine just buying big ticket items when I "want" them!!!!!