Number of exam days completed? One.
Number of exam days left? Three.
Number of culminating tasks marked this week? Sixty three.
Number of parents who called to make excuses for their 17-18 year olds? Three.
Number of lost credits? Three.
Number of plagiarized essays handed in? One.
Average hours of sleep per night this week? Five.
Number of alarm clocks set in our bedroom each night? Three.
Number of bottles of wine left in our house? Zero.
Number of times I have smiled today because it is Friday? Countless.
I am beginning to become fond of the colleague with whom I share an office and it is making me uncomfortable. When I first came to this school, I vowed to keep a comfortable distance from my colleagues; it just feels better for an introvert like me to keep my professional life professional and my private life private. Instead of choosing to occupy a desk in the massive teacher work room (where some 60 other teachers gather to plan, photocopy, mark and gossip) I opted instead to work out of a private book room made only for two occupants. It is bliss to be able to work in peace and quiet and to not be a part of the rampant rumor mill that is the work room. I need drama like a hole in the head.
So, my office mate is super sweet and very funny. She makes working within a closet totally enjoyable and I think that she is a wholly authentic person. I don't want to like her so much. It's easier when I can simply go to work and be completely detached from my co-workers...yes, I am not a team player. I'm the co-worker you can never quite read, never know well, and never feel comfortable around because my personal space bubble is 10 feet is diameter.
We left the school together today, Office Mate and I, and as we were standing in the parking lot wishing each other a good weekend ahead, I realized that I was nervous. Why does it feel more comfortable for me to be invisible?
P.S. Thank you all for your very supportive comments on my last post. I had no idea that so many of us have had to make some tough decisions regarding friendships.
K1 you and I are so much a like it is almost scary. I never eat lunch in the teacher's lounge. It makes me crazy to go in there and listen to all of the gossip and complaining. I don't share my personal business and it drives people crazy at school.
ReplyDeleteLast month I went out of town. I didn't tell anyone at school where I was going or why. When I went back to school the following Monday there were several people in my department who were really upset with me. One woman didn't talk to me for a month. I was told by my aide that she complained the entire time I was gone that she didn't understand why I always have to be so secretive about everything. I'm not being secretive, just being me. (I think it mostly kills her because she is the biggest gossip I have EVER met.)
Have a WONDERFUL weekend!!!
Do you need wine??? We're trying to clear out stuff and guess what we have extra of?
ReplyDeleteI too am glad it's the weekend. Good luck with the exams.
"When one door closes, somewhere another is opened."
ReplyDeleteGo slow, be careful, but let yourself be a friend. Wouldn't school be so much more fun with a friend?
You need to come out of the closet already. A gal pal is totally acceptable these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
ReplyDeletewink.
I am closed to a degree at work. They only know about my life what I choose to tell them. I am cautious to a degree. That said, one of my best friends is a girl I work with - it took a while to get there, until I was sure I could trust her - but am I ever glad that I did!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little bit like that, too. I'm not there to be friends with everybody. They are coworkers, not BFFs.
ReplyDeleteBut, I've chosen to become close to some of the women at work. In fact, I was totally opposed to becoming close with the women I share my new building with, but they have been extremely supportive of me this last year. Genuinely happy for me. I've even told them about our fertility struggles, and I am comforted and encouraged by them on nearly a daily basis. Sometimes people will surprise you. And, I believe that God does bring people into our lives for a reason. So, try to give yourself permission to enjoy this blossoming friendship. It might be just what you need in that environment.
So you say you need wine? Stop by my site. I'll hook you up! lol. It's ok to have a gal pal.. I've got the "crazylady". We're out with it.
ReplyDeleteIt's okay to open up your heart a little =)
ReplyDeleteI have personal space issues, so I totally understand your 10 foot buffer zone.
I have become like that. Esp with my work changes, personal and work lives are being kept VERY separate.
ReplyDeleteAllow a step out of your bubble to test the waters. You never know...
I hate when people are nice and I like them!
Keep smilin!
Five hours of sleep a night? AAAAHHHHH! You poor girl! I hope you are eating healthy, at least, or you're going to be sick! Take care!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. I got lost with all that counting - I'm stuck on the VERY SMALL number that accounts for your sleep.
ReplyDeleteAs far as your bubble goes: sounds like this girl is gettin' in. (And it sounds like this might be a good thing.) You are such an incredible person - I'm just glad you are more open to us girls here in bloggerland...
XO
See why I like working out of my home???---no drama---just letting the dog in and out...in and out...in and out...
ReplyDeleteBut...when I used to work outside of the home, it was nice having one good friend at work. Someone to talk about work/personal with, get another perspective on things, and to share ideas.
We choose/make friends through life for different reasons. They have different roles in our friendship circle. Some are our "ears" because they are such good listeners, some make us laugh and escape, some share similiar stories and can relate to us...and so on.
I think you will find that she has already found a spot in your circle. :)