
K2 and I have perfected the art of pretending. Well, maybe not "perfected", but pretty darn close. The pretending, though, has become increasingly difficult and extremely draining. We are not okay and the concept of what is "normal" is elusive to us right now. I keep looking at my last post, at the pictures of us smiling and laughing and I can't believe that we pulled that off.
I don't even know how to begin.
Some time ago, we found ourselves pregnant. November proved to be a difficult and painful month of ups and downs relevant to keeping the babies alive. Babies. Twins.
One week, we felt elation at the prospect of bringing these lives into existence in July and the next week, we were stifled by doubt and worry that they would not make it. The entire month was like this and the heartbreak/elation roller coaster was so exhausting.
Our first ultrasound showed the faintest of cardiac contractions; our worst nightmare. We either wanted to hear strength or nothing. To hear that death was immanent was more than we thought we could bear. A week later, another ultrasound showed that there were no heartbeats whatsoever. Death. Failure. Our doctor did not want to give up and wanted us to wait for another ultrasound to be sure. Certainty, however, came the following day.
On Thursday of last week, in my eighth week of pregnancy, there was no doubt that these babies were not viable. The night was spent in excruciating pain and in an emotional vacuum. I had never experienced a miscarriage, much less the miscarriage of two embryos and my fear was palpable. Even as the blood and cramps were gripping me, I was in disbelief. It was like I was outside of my body and it was no longer a part of me.
It is Monday and I still don't feel normal. I suspect that we have to figure out a new normal for our lives, but I don't know how to go about doing that yet. I struggle with pretending that I am fine (that word, "fine" is brutal) and with trying to be "normal" and not show that I am grieving. I don't want to make others uncomfortable with my grief or make others think that I can't handle this.
The truth is, I am tired and I am sad beyond measure. How long will this last? My body is having difficulty with this "natural miscarriage" (what an oxymoron) and the pain is lasting longer than I expected. When will I feel like myself again? When will I be able to enjoy my friends and family without feeling like I have to be someone I am not?
I am scared. I am scared to hit "publish", scared to put this out there and scared that I won't be able to move past this. I am scared that people will think that I am weak, that I should be able to let this go, that after five days of grief, I should not still be crying.
But I am.
K1, you have every right to be sad and upset and to cry all you want. You had hope of babies and now that hope is gone. For now. I can't say that I understand completely because I've never been able to get pregnant but I will tell you that I am sad for you and I'm hoping that you will feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteKnow that you are well loved out here and loads of healing hugs are being sent on the wind your way to wrap you in comfort.
I knew something was wrong, but I had no idea that it was that. I'm SO sorry. It sounds cliche to say that, but I really am sorry to hear about yours and K2's horrible news.
ReplyDeleteWhile I've had two 'chemical' pregnancies (I've always hated that term), I don't know what it's like to have a miscarriage. I do know that when I got *that* news, it was heartbreaking.
I can't even imagine what you're going through, but please know that if you need anything, ANYTHING at all, please call, write, come over. Whatever you need, whenever.
There is NO reason to feel scared about publishing this. If people don't 'get it' that you're sad and heartbroken over this, then they aren't your friends and you don't need people like that reading your blog.
Even though I've only known you about a year, give or take, you are NOT weak. You are human.
Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap!
ReplyDeleteYou don't deserve it. It makes me so sad to read this. You should be sad...and you should be sad so one day you can be happy again. But right now, it's just sad. I am so very sorry...and I hope you can feel a little, bitty bit of comfort knowing that we are all sad with you.
Hang in there...and take the time you need.
I'm very, very, very sorry.
I'm sitting here in tears. I hurt for you both and wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. I have had a miscarriage in the past and everytime I hear about one of my friends having a miscarriage (which seems to be too often), it brings back the pain and I relive it all over again. It IS painful - physically and emotionally. I haven't been through all the other "stuff" you've been through to get to this point so I don't totally understand the grief but I will say one thing: take time to heal (physically and emotionally). I found that people didn't really understand the pain of it but I don't care what anyone thinks . . . you've lost two babies (yes, babies - not just a fetus) and that's not something you can just easily get over.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this part of your life with us - as hard as that was to do. I will keep you and K2 in my prayers.
k
You are not weak at all to tell and share your story. You have every right to be sad and to cry because of your pain, because of your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry for you...this is so unfair.
K1, you are NOT weak. You are an amazingly strong woman and you need to give yourself permission to grieve. I admire you for sharing something this private and obviously painful, so openly with all of us. I wish there was something I could say or do to make all of this okay for you and K2. This is so unfair and I am so sorry for your loss, your pain and your sadness. Sending you LOTS of hugs...
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for you and K2. I can't even say I know how you feel. I never was able to get to get that far. Please know that in this community you don't have to be anyone other than yourself and that's o.k. We've all been at different stages at different times and we're here to share in the happy times as well as the sad.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you both close to my heart.
Lisa
Oh my goodness - I can only imagine. I'm sending the largest hugs possible. Honour yourself and take all the time you need to feel human, no one would ever expect anything more than that of anyone.
ReplyDeleteK1
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you published and I am very happy to read the comments of your friends. They get it, yes they really do get it. You are one strong young lady who has every right to be sad and openly showing your grief. Your family knows that you are not"fine"and also that you will be different because of your loss but someday will be fine again. The roller coaster feeling describes well the last few months of your life and the live of K2. Trust yourself as well as your family and friends. I am sorry that I can't take this hurt away from my little girl.
All my love
Dad
Oh K1!!! I had no idea you were going through this...its not fair!! You are not a weak gal, you are very strong and I have ALWAYS admired your strength in everything you do.I'm so glad you shared with us...it is tough to hit "publish", but what always helps me get through the tough times is by talking about it and having my friends (& online ones too).
ReplyDeleteI'm sending you BIG HUGS!!!! Please know I'm thinking about you....Luv Ya!!
Kathy- I am so sorry for your loss. I really am. I have been there myself. It is NEVER easy. I wish you all the best through this. Please, just let the feelings out. They are completely appropriate. You have lost!
ReplyDeleteI sat reading this tears welled in my eyes, I am so sorry for this pain and grief the both of you are enduring,I am just so sorry.
ReplyDeletePart of you publishing this is part of sharing the grief process, I just want to reach through the damn screen and hug you till you ask for air.
You have had to deal with so much lately.
I'm sorry.....
Sweet, sweet friend. Continuing to hold you close in my heart as you cry and grieve over the precious babies that you lost and the unfairness of it all. There is no set amount of time that a person is to grieve so take all the time that you need. We're here beside you, holding you up and holding you close during this terrible time.
ReplyDeleteLove you friend...so very, very much. xoxo
I'm so sorry for your loss K1. While I've never experienced this myself, I've been through it with my sister several times.
ReplyDeleteOf course you will grieve. Don't feel embarassed or "weak" by that. The loss is real. So let yourself feel it. Things will return to normal eventually. Or at least a new version of normal. And that will be okay.
Your friends are always here to lift you up when you need it. There's a lot of love and support out here in the blogosphere being concentrated on you right now. I hope maybe it helps just a little.
K1 - I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and K2. Never ever let anyone tell you how or what you should be feeling! You take all the time you need to heal. And by far you are not "weak" you are most certainly the strongest person for hitting publish. The next time you get together with Michelle, please know I am sending along a great big hug.
ReplyDeleteJenn
Who said you should not be crying? You take all the time you need. I'll validate. That is sad. Sad and devastating and I'm so, so sorry!
ReplyDeleteSending you love and strength.
ReplyDeleteI am sitting here in tears as I read your post. I don't even know where to begin. I cried for months and still cry to this day for the child we lost, my baby girl, and it's been almost 3 years. My heart breaks for you because I know your sorrow. I know the excitement you felt at being told you are finally expecting a child and the despair at being told your baby's heart has stopped beating. Know that we are both here for you if you need anything at all. I love you both dearly.
ReplyDeleteOMG - I can't even believe I just read what I did. I am so unbelievably sorry. I have tears in my eyes and a pit in my stomach.
ReplyDeleteWhen I found out I was pregnant in 2002, I was terrified. I was told my progesterone levels were so low that I had a 50/50 chance of it working out. I had ups and downs the whole time I was pregnant. I don't know why, but I had a such a bad feeling about it the whole time.
After my miscarriage at 10 weeks, it took me weeks to feel better physically. I had the "natural" miscarriage too, and it was the most excrutiating pain I have ever experienced. At least with child birth, you get something good at the end of the pain. With miscarriage, all you are left with is emptiness.
The emotional pain lasted much, much longer for me. I had my miscarriage in November right before Thanksgiving. I don't know how Doug and I did it, but we managed to celebrate Thanksgiving with family with a smile on our faces even though we were devastated.
You are not weak. Not even close. You are one of the strongest people I know. My miscarriage was 5 years ago and at times I still find myself crying over it.
I wish so much that I could do something. Time is the only thing that heals. Thinking of you both.
I'm so very sorry. You have every right to feel sadness, anger, and despair. It's a process, I guess. Just ride it out together.
ReplyDelete((BIG HUGS))
Words are not enough. You are having to go thru this and you need to do/say/cry/yell/drink/whatever you need to. We adore you both. We both are hugging you and supporting you. Take it one step at a time. You are brave and strong. And courageous for sharing this. You are loved and cared for. Never doubt that.
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
I was continuing to hold out hope for you (and the babies). I am so sorry to hear that you lost them. I don't have words. I have never experienced what you are going thru...I have, however, suffered thru the tears and sadness with many dear friends who have. There is no expiration date on grief, sweet girl, you and K2 take all of the time that you need. You never need to pretend around the people who truly love you. They will grieve with you, and they will WAIT as long as it takes for you to find your new "normal".
ReplyDeleteAgain, I am so sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry. There are few words. But do know that you are far from week! You are an inspiration and are loved dearly by many people! Take time.
ReplyDeleteOh, K1! I am so terribly sad for both you and K2's loss. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling right now! Grief is a normal process and everyone grieves differently and for different lenghts of time...you are not weak!...you are normal!...grieve as long as you need. A part of you will always feel this loss...but with time the pain will ease. You are both in my prayers and thoughts.
ReplyDeleteK1 - you are not weak. You are one of the strongest and most wonderful and beautiful people that I know.
ReplyDeleteYou are an AMAZING woman!
I have no words to express how sorry I am. Life sucks and it isn't fair sometimes. It certainly doesn't work out how we planned - not that that is what you want to hear.
You take all the time that you need. There is no set rule or time frame and everyone grieves in a different way. This is your life and emotions - do not take them lightly. You have suffered a great loss.
You are loved greatly and thought about often.
Take care of yourselves and I am here ALWAYS for you.
I'm sorry. So sorry. I wish I knew what else to say. But I don't. Except I'm sorry. And your Dad's comment made me cry.
ReplyDeleteK1, the brutal truth is that a miscarriage takes a long time to heal from, both physically and mentally. It is very much a grieving process and may take you months or even years to get over. You ARE NOT WEAK. Not even close. And you are allowed to grieve. ANd cry. For five days, for ten days,for ten weeks, however long you need. Your heart is broken. It will take time and love to help it heal. Please know that I'm praying for you, dear friend. I wish I could hold you, or help you, or just be a shoulder to cry on. Your pain is immense. You are not fine, it is not okay. Cry. Scream. And then heal.
ReplyDeleteI am with you. If you ever need to talk. If you need anything.
You know that I have been praying for you and I will continue to do so. There is no "expiration date" on when the grieving ends. I too, can remember that feeling.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very, very sorry. I'll be thinking of you and K2 often....
Okay sweetie, now listen here, remember this is what I do for a living right?
ReplyDeleteFirst of all if you had stopped grieving two lives after five days I would be warning you it isn't over yet. Grief takes it's own path, you can't force it you just have to let it take you. I think this is going to be hard for you because it is not something you can control in the long run, you may be able to push it to the side for awhile (you did that on the weekend) but it will wait for you. It is a process not one feeling.
Second, you are those babies mommy. Don't forget that, you are going to grieve differently from K2. To be blunt part of your grief is going to include incredible guilt. Remember every day, you did nothing to cause this, you could have done nothing to prevent this. If you doctor hasn't already said it, I will. Miscarriage is a mystery to us we don't know why so many pregnancies are lost. You did nothing wrong.
Third, you may return to "normal" or you may get a new "normal". But those lives will always be a part of the Ks. So occasions will take on a new significance. You have already talked about November now holding bad vibes. Christmas is going to be difficult. Your due date will kick you in the butt. The first of these dates will probably be the worst.
Please take care of yourself hon. Keep an eye on the bleeding and pain it should start to subside today, if not call the doctor to check.
Many, many hugs to you and K2.
Sorry I forgot one last thing. This is THE best resource for families who have lost a child: www.pbso.ca
ReplyDeleteThey are a volunteer organization that was started by parents who had lost a child.
More hugs
I sent you an email. Just want to make sure you got it.
ReplyDeleteOh no. I am so sad and sorry. I do know what it's like to be told that your child is still alive inside of you, but won't be shortly. It is h*ll on earth. Oh, I am so sorry.
ReplyDeletePlease know that it is a huge loss. Not a loss that can be recovered from in 5 days. Do not worry about what others think. And I can tell you that if they have experienced anything similar, their hearts are broken for you. The memories of my fear and pain just looking back make my eyes water. Whether your children are in front of you to look at, waiting for you in another land or growing inside of you...they are your children. You have lost your children. You cry as long as you feel like it. I am so sorry for both of you.
What secrets and pains of our lives and hearts remain unpublished. I'm so glad you shared this. It gave me a chill and a lump in my throat. I help women in your situation at work and it's never easy, always painful. I'm so sorry my friend.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I do know the emotional & physical pain. Let it all out and I will be praying for you as you begin the task of healing.
ReplyDeleteLike your Dad, I'm glad to see this published.
ReplyDeleteYou have every right to SCREAM about this
It's NOT FAIR.
It's just NOT.
I want to fix it for you so badly.
My heart is breaking for you tonight. I have been in your shoes and although the physical pain goes away the emotional pains takes far longer to heal. Do whatever feels right at the moment and if nothing seems right it is ok to do nothing. Greive for you babies. You will be in our thoughts,
ReplyDeleteI am so, so sorry for your loss. My heart is breaking for you both...
ReplyDeleteTake care.
K, I wish there was something I could do to make your heart stop hurting. I wish someone would explain to me WHY this type of stuff has to happen in our lives......I guess we will never know. It is OK to cry and grieve for as long as you need to, it is loss and it is sad. Be well.
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry to hear of your loss.....take the time and let yourself heal.
ReplyDeleteTake care
Paula
My heart aches for you...as I know loss like yours. You are in my thoughts and prayers.... I am so very sorry.
ReplyDeleteSending big, fat, sloppy, asshot hugs and kisses you way. My thoughts are with you both.
ReplyDeleteThe new normal will be different. It wont ever be the same, it'll be okay someday, but for now it sucks...and it sucks worse that it is the holidays and while everyone is celebrating, you are mourning.
ReplyDeleteLosing a child or children at any stage is traumatic. I've been there and I remmeber the feeling of bitterness anger and overwhelming despair. I'm not going to tell you 'it gets better'...what I need to tell you is to allow yourself all the time you need to grieve this tragedy.
My thoughts are with you and K2.
Hayley
mum to many angels
and two beautiful China princesses
Sending you a very big hug. I have never been through this so I do not have any advice. I did suffer a sort of adoption miscarriage. We were referred a lovely boy named Alexander from Russia - I carried his picture close to my heart for 6 months and then found out we were not allowed to adopt him. It was the worst time of my life. I still think of him and wonder if he is happy and ok.
ReplyDeleteSometimes we need to just put a smile on our face and pretend things are normal just to get throught a difficult moment - it's not a way to heal, but it's a temporary distraction.
I wish you peace at this very difficult time - I am so proud of you for hitting the publish button.
Oh my gosh, I am so so sorry. How do any of us express that in this forum? I cannot believe what you have been through and endured, my heart is aching for this incredible loss you have suffered.
ReplyDeleteI am also so saddened by your reluctance to give in to your pain, a pain that I know must be deeper than any you have ever known. I wish for you the space you need in order to really let go. In our perceived weakness is the very root of our strength. Sometimes holding on, not giving in, only serves to alienate us from our very selves. Don't be afraid, you will not do this alone. Of this I am most certain.
I cannot for a minute pretend to know this pain... though I know the magnitude of loss in itself. You are being far too hard on yourself... embrace what you are feeling. Let it be. Don't expect anything except to be where you are right now. Where you are IS normal...
God what I wouldn't give to carry even an ounce of what you suffer. What I wouldn't give to come and sit with you, quietly, and take your hand.
My heart goes out to you. I left my (very belated) two cents on the board. Do something for yourself - it takes time and creativity to get through this, as I know from experience. It's a winding path. But know that you will eventually come back to yourself. In the meantime, put yourself first, do exactly what you need to do....be selfish, for once.
ReplyDeleteOMGosh. I'm really sorry, you.
ReplyDeleteHugs. XO
Oh! I'm just checking in. I'm SO SORRY! Of course your sad. What a terrible, terrible loss. No words can describe it, I'm sure. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteI am catching up and am deeply saddened to read this.
ReplyDeleteWe have lived through this. It is more than one can describe. We were at 11 weeks. There are no words. Life does go on. Slowly at first.
We are here. If that means anything, you are loved by many.
With sorrow
Senja
I am SO sorry for your loss! A miscarriage isn't something that you forget, even with time. Don't rush your grief, because your grief is real.
ReplyDeleteMy baby that I miscarried would have been 14 years old October 20.