Monday, August 6, 2007

Tree Down

We built our house seven years ago and were the first people to take posession of a house in this development. Starting from scratch with a house has so many great merits, but it also has downfalls.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
- Jack Handey

The expense and the time it takes to landscape, to pave driveways, to erect fencing, etc. is quite daunting, but fully rewarding at the same time.

Two summers ago, we finally decided on the "perfect" tree for our front yard. Our house sits at the perpendicular end of two streets so when people drive along one of the streets, our house can be seen at the end. We are keenly aware that our house is the first impression of the neighborhood and we try to keep the front yard as pretty as we can.


The perfect tree meant one that provided shade to our southern facing home, one that had small leaves to allow some light through, and one that had beautiful flowers in spring. Our perfect tree was a Purple Robe Robinia.




We came home from lunch with friends today to see that our tree had suffered a massive split down its center branch (in essence, its trunk). We are unsure as to what could have caused this to happen, but we guessed that the weight of the branch, coupled with some strong gust of wind caused the split. Or, perhaps it is Karma kicking in after the slaughter of the wasps. In any case, and in an attempt to "heal" the tree, we affixed two of our kayak straps around the main branch as a sort of band aid to hold it up and attached to the rest of the tree. We know it won't work, but we are not yet ready to give in.

Tomorrow, I am off to find another perfect tree for our yard. This time, we are going for a hardy Canadian Red Maple - one that raises its middle branch when the Canadian wind blows and says, "Not me, wind! I aint going down without a fight!".

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about your tree. It was SO beautiful! Go for the hearty maple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...so sorry to hear about your tree. It's absolutely beautiful!!

    Do you know what colour maple you're looking for? I have a red one and although many like it I would much prefer one that shows off beautifully with it's orange and red colouring in the fall! Those are absolutely breathtaking some years! My leaves just kinda turn a little darker burgundy, hinting on brown and fall off.

    Enjoy your tree shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame - that's a beautiful tree! A red maple will also be very attractive - and perhaps a tad hardier. Good luck.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a shame! It is a beautiful tree.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tree! How about a palm tree? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww...so pretty. I love it. I hate it when a beautiful tree gets mangled. It happened to me in an ice storm last winter. Grrr!

    Yep, get a maple with a BIG central branch ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah a tree that can do the Canadian Salute. though that purple passin is just gorgeous. Prhaps this is a new day, a tree for your little one to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the tree...your yard looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, and such a beautiful tree!! We have a red maple, it is very hardy and pretty (although it doesn't have beautiful flowers).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty tree! I hope you can save it. We have a red maple and love it, especially in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know all about new construction. That's what I do for a living. Sell the dream.. Truly sucks about your tree too. What a beauty. Maybe you will be able to mend it back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty tree, love the canadian red!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A true Canadian , kyak straps,*grin*.
    Sorry to hear about your beautiful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tree! I hope you can save it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope there is something you can do for your tree - but if you can't I do LOVE the red maple - very good for teatherball (do kids still play that?) or a swing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That tree is sooo beautiful...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a shame the tree has to come down. How odd that the trunk split. I hope the next tree is able to withstand it's own weight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no clue about that type of tree, but we have many with split trunks that thrive. amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete