Friday, August 3, 2007

Attack!

K2 and I had an agreement this week: I would mow the front lawn and boulevard and he would mow the backyard. We don't have a ginormous yard, but there are too many chairs and tables in the backyard for my liking and I would rather not exert too much energy back there if I can help it.

Tonight, I was sitting on the couch catching up on some blog reading when there was a rapid knocking at the back patio door. I ran to the window and saw K2 out there hunched over and holding his leg.

My brain: He has cut off his toes with the lawn mower.

My funny bone: What a weirdo. Why is he jumping around like that? Are there neighbors watching?

Result: He had been attacked by bees while mowing the back yard! I opened the patio door, let him in and proceeded to rub his three sting sites with Solarcaine.

After 11 years of marriage (and my friends and family will attest to this fact) I know to expect the worst when K2 is involved as he is the most accident prone dude I know. We usually have a huge laugh over this kind of stuff and tonight was no different.

Once the Solarcaine was on his wounds, he knew he had to go back out and face the swarm as he left his "Dude Machine" (a.k.a the lawnmower) helplessly out by the hive. What to do? Head out there with camera in hand and take pictures of the "Dude Hive" and hope to not be killed by the swarm.

The problem: we knew not where the hive was until I went out (wearing a skirt and holding a dishcloth for protection) and kicked the fence by the lawnmower. Out flew dozens of buzzing nasties and, truth be told, K2 and I screamed like little tiny girls and ran for our lives until we were safely tucked away in our kitchen.

Now, we are prisoners in our own home. Somebody please save us.

The Nasties and Their Hive


If you click on the plus sign, you will see what those wasps were really saying as they sat there staring at us.
+/-


The Wound on K2's Back (one of three)

18 comments:

  1. Look at them just staring at you, ready to strike!

    I'm pretty sure I heard your "little girl cries" from here...

    You funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor K2! I can't believe he was attacked like that. I was stung once and that was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! K2, that sucks! I hope your bee stings heal quickly. I would be running in the opposite direction, and FAST! Of course, I am allergic to bees, so.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicious little pricks, they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the clarification. I have always wondered what they were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor K2 - I hope he is OK. Do you have a plan to get rid of the nest? Be careful! There are some good bee/wasp buster companies out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh oh! Poor K2. Those are nasty! Glad to hear you went out K1...armed with your camera! :o) I'd be hitting the store first thing this morning and getting myself a big ole can of Raid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look more like wasps to me! YIKES!!!

    I can't stand anything with a stinger. I hope you can get rid of them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our 2 year old just got stung on Wednesday. I'm hearing of a lot of people having problems with bees and wasps this year. Three stings-that is awful. Hang in there! So...what's the plan? Who's going to spray them?
    If you are blogging this morning, come on by the Seventh Diamond, we're starting Saturday morning live chats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey K2! Sorry about the stings! No fun at all...we're having a ton of bugs this year because of the freaky amount of rain we've had. Maybe it's because of all the hot weather up there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I think I can help, as a beekeeper( we presently don't have hives, used to have 15)you got stung by wasps not bees. What you could do is buy wasp and hornet blaster, any hardware store. You want to do it at dusk or better at night, they won't be active and they will all be in the hive so you will be sure to get them all. If you don't get them all they will be sure to continue to come back to build another paper nest. After they are all dead, you should knock down the nest, I hope this helps.
    Sorry hubby got stung, wasp stings are far worse than honey bees, baking soda paste works well at neutralizing the sting. Another thing is to try and get stringer out immediatly before it starts pumping in the venom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those things are why I dread summer! If we could wipe wasps off the face of the earth I would be much more prone to thinking summer was a decent seasons. Until then...Aaaaaach!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no - poor K2! Hope he feels better :-)

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes, they do look nasty! And three stings at once is no fun. Abandon the yard, let it grow long, and hide in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. and this is how it starts..... next sting can create an allergy
    kill kill kill

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must say when faced with a dangerous situation, the first thing I go for is the dish cloth for protection!!!

    I am sorry that K2 got stung - that stings!! heehee

    I hope he is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete