Thursday, June 14, 2012

Test Day

The kids were invited to spend a day at the Montessori School they will attend in the Fall just to become a little more familiar with their teacher (Mrs. Ashley) and the routines.  Unfortunately, June is a difficult month in which to find a "regular school day" given the various activities teachers usually plan for the kids.  After emailing possible dates to the directress, I was asked to bring the kids on "water day".
Oh man, getting the kids up, fed, dressed and out the door by 8:30 was a chore in and of itself.  Add in getting myself ready, and it was quite a challenge.  Come Fall, I will have to wake a full hour before the kids wake in order to have some semblance of calm.  Luckily, the school is a mere 2km from our home and a mere 3 minute drive.
This particular day was rainy and cool and I doubted the "water day" would still be scheduled. However, upon arrival, Mrs. Ashley was instructing the kids to get their swimsuits on and was preparing to take them out in the rain.  Ugh.  I was not impressed.  The twins enjoy being in the rain so long as they are wearing their boots and raincoats and so long as their heads are covered.  Being out there in just a swimsuit was not going to be a hit with them.  In any case, we were good sports and joined the rest of the class outside for some water balloon, water gun, and sprinkler fun. It was clear from almost the start that Chick was not having any of it.  She was terribly cold and began to shiver something fierce.  When one of the teachers decided to bring another little girl inside to warm up, I asked if Chick could join them as well.  Soon, Pea and some of the other children needed to come in to warm up as well.
After changing into warm clothes, the teacher offered the kids some snack and an opportunity to play a little.  I decided that this would be a good time for me to exit and leave them at the school on their own for a little while.  I left at 11:00am and returned an hour later to check in on them.  They were happily having lunch when I came back.
After lunch, cleaning up and washroom breaks, they were ready to come home.  They were invited to stay until 3:30pm, but were clearly tired from the morning. Not wanting to push things on this first day, I thanked the teachers for their hospitality and brought the twins home for a quiet afternoon.  They were bushed and I was happy to spend the afternoon having them all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment