We should have known not to tempt fate. About a week ago, J. and I were talking about how lucky we were that we'd never had to deal with the flu with either of the kids. Neither one of them has ever had an episode of vomiting (aside from when they were newborns). I even noted that someone had told me to line the way from the child's bed to the bathroom with cheap shower curtain liners in order to prevent any mishaps along the way.
Sure enough, fate came knocking last night. We put the kids to bed as per our usual routine and both seemed to be quite happy and normal (as normal as our kids can get). At 10:00pm, Pea started whining in his bed. Because Pea sometimes wakes early in his sleep, I let him whine a little, hoping that he would put himself back to sleep. Nope. The whining escalated to full-fledged crying, so I did what I normally do and headed up to his room to soothe him back to sleep. I was lying next to him with my arms around him when all of a sudden, he erupted.
From 10pm until 3am our little bugaboo's body couldn't get a break and it was heartbreaking. He didn't cry, whine or carry on. He simply used his little bucket when he needed it and then curled his body back against mine when he could. J. had the job of laundering everything in the middle of the night, while I provided some much needed snuggles (best. job. ever.).
He's still not 100% today, but has eaten two popsicles, a container of yogurt and a piece of dry toast. As luck would have it, snow started falling late this afternoon and by tonight, big flakes were floating quickly to the ground. The outdoors has always proven to be the best remedy (or, at least the best change in perspective) when illness strikes. So, we bundled up the kids and headed outdoors to build their first ever snowman. We were outside for about 40 minutes - just enough time to bring a cute blush to my little boy's pale cheeks.


I'm glad Pea is better.
ReplyDeleteCleaning up 'eruptions' is rough for me. Thankfully Daddy pulls more than his fair share when it happens. Whew!
AWESOME snowman!
Oh poor little Pea. I'm so sorry that he is under the weather. I hope today is better.
ReplyDeletePoor little Pea! Sure hope he's feeling much better today and that the rest of you remain healthy.
ReplyDeleteSnuggling sick kiddos is a special part of being a parent. Not always easy but bringing comfort is all you want to do.
So sorry to hear that! Hoping he's quickly on the mend and that blasted crud doesn't claim any more victims.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that Pea is better now.
ReplyDeleteVomit is never fun - especially when it is your child.
What a great snowman!! I love the pic with the twins looking up it!
ReplyDelete