Monday, December 12, 2011

Goodbye, My Beautiful Blueberry Bear

In October of 1996, I was volunteering at our local OSPCA as a member of the board of directors.  I couldn't work in the shelter because my heart couldn't take the sadness of the animals and I knew I'd want to take them all home with me.  J. and I were just married a few months at the time and something was missing in our lives.  I had always grown up with pets and knew we needed a little kitty to make our family complete.  Off to the shelter I went, one day, and happened upon two little tabbies huddled side by side in their litter box.  Brother and sister - cats B and C of a litter of three found on the side of a highway.  "A" had already been adopted leaving "B" and "C" left.  When I opened their cage, one immediately scampered under the shelving units and hid, while the other was happy to be picked up and cuddled.  The one who hid was Cheetah and the one who wanted cuddles was Bear.  We adopted them both.  Bear was so sick with a respiratory illness that the staff said we could come and get a new cat if he died. He showed them! He lived for over 15 years.  Cheetah passed away in February of 2007 and Bear passed away this afternoon.  I kissed and cuddled him as he exited this world in the same way I kissed and cuddled him that day in the shelter.  He was always as cuddly.  I loved that little sweetheart and will miss him greatly. He was my first baby and filled my life with joy through many, many difficult years of infertility.  His unconditional love was something I'll never experience again and I'll be forever grateful that I was the lucky recipient of all those years of love and cuddles.
Photobucket

Goodbye, old friend.

10 comments:

  1. Oh so sad. (((hugs))) to you friend.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful kitty who filled your blog with lots of stories for a long long time.
    Higs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry friend. I can't imagine how your heart is hurting right now.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry, K1. So very sorry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. He will be missed for sure. Beary was quite possibly the most wonderful cat friend I have ever had. I will miss the way he sat in your sink and licked the water from the tap and the way he would sit on your counter and lick the bananas in the bowl. He was a darling and we all loved him like he was our very own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss!!

    The first time I became "acquainted" with your blog -- your pregnancy was being mentioned on another blog, something about "now we know why the cat was covering her feet".

    Hold tight to the memories.

    And hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and his blanket (and fur!) lined box on the chair by the back door… I'll miss that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so so sorry.

    I have been grateful for the timing of my own cat's death, though of course I would have loved more time, but at least she was able to comfort me through all of the years of infertility, snuggle my twins when they were fetuses (and oh, how she was drawn my belly like never before), and then eventually have a relationship with them as infants. She lived long enough that they knew what she was and how they were supposed to pet her -- but not long enough that they felt a loss when she left.

    Although Chick and Pea are old enough to feel a loss to some extent, they also had so many wonderful times with Bear. And you got to enjoy a special facet of their personalities by watching them loving him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot express how sad I am for your loss.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete