Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bittersweet

A few months ago, we took apart Pea's crib (he hadn't been using it as we had been co sleeping) in favor of moving a double bed into his room.  My parents had a guest bedroom suite that they donated to us, so it was a no-brainer to begin that transition with Pea.  At the time, Chick was still in her crib and sleeping just as soundly as she always does.

Now that she's potty trained, though, we knew we couldn't very well keep her in her crib.  So, we bought a toddler bed and she has been sleeping there ever since. We kept her crib assembled in her room just in case things didn't work out. Thankfully, she sleeps just as beautifully in the toddler bed as she did in her crib.

This morning, I decided to take apart her crib.   I wasn't prepared for the emotions that came with ridding her room of that aspect of her babyhood.  While I am happy to see her grow and change, there is a kind of heartbreak in knowing that we will never again have a baby in a crib.  I think Chick was a little sad, too.  She loved her crib and would often ask to go into it during the day.  But, time doesn't stop for anyone, including a little girl growing too quickly for her parents' liking.

Chick's newly transformed toddler bedroom is still pretty cute despite the absence of a crib.

Photobucket


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. It is so cute!!

    Glad to hear that she is sleeping well and enjoying her new bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her room is adorable. No wonder she sleeps so soundly.

    I can't believe she's in a big girl bed already. I can't imagine how you both must be feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrito recently transitioned to a bed due to nonstop escapes (though the transition has not yet been successful, as he refuses to sleep there), but Tamale is still in the crib. Whenever we decide to switch her, though, she'll do great. What I can't imagine is them leaving the room to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night!

    One difference between Chick's room and Burrito and Tamale's is that their lower shelves are bare -- otherwise they'd toss everything around every day.

    How long will the changing pad stay on Chick's dresser? Mine are very much in diapers but our changing table is now a glorified diaper shelf, as neither will tolerate being changed on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is all very sweet and sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Although *sniff!* a huge move!

    Still haven't talked myself into this one but it will happen this fall...I think! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time moves too quickly! I was okay with taking it down as we knew it was going back up for Mr D. But the final teardown...I can imagine it was difficult to have that part done and now packed away.

    Hugs!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete