This was the very first time I had ever made Butternut Squash Soup and I have no idea why I waited so long. It was simple and delicious. I scanned many recipes online and then made my own recipe by tweaking several recipes here and there.
Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and diced1 onion
one carrot sliced
two medium potatoes diced
3 cloves of garlic cut in half
6 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk or whatever dairy alternative you like
Pepper to taste
Add the squash, onion, carrot, potatoes and garlic to the vegetable broth. Add in the Chipotle pepper and cumin. Bring pot to boil and then simmer on low heat for 40 minutes (until the veggies are tender). Puree soup in a blender then put back in pot. Add milk, salt and pepper to taste.
We put croutons on top and shredded some Parmesan cheese as well.
Next time, I may sauté the veggies first, then add them to the pot. J. thought that adding chick peas would be good and would increase the protein. Maybe I will do that next time too.Both kids gave it the ol' "finger-licking-good" rating, so I'm sure this recipe will be made several times over the fall/winter months.


Check one off the list!

Glad it turned out well! How great when you find a recipe that you like that will know become a staple.
ReplyDeleteDo you think it is freezable?
Mmm! My fave fall soup! I've sometimes tried it with a dollop of sour cream on top and a little cranberry sauce.
ReplyDeleteYay for starting your fall checklist!
I love that you are tweaking/creating your own recipes! Sign of a converted foodie.
ReplyDeleteSounds delish...
Keep smilin!
To answer M's question...omit mild/cream/dairy and freeze. Add that when you serve it. Does not thaw well with the dairy in it. Learnt that from my MIL.
Yum! It sounds so good. I'm going to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteLove, Love, LOVE your bucket list. What a great idea!!